IHG acquires Kimpton

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Dec 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad that IC will be separate for a awhile.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably the beginning of the end of Karma Rewards. I give it a year and then hello PC at Kimptons.

viguera and uggboy like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see them making Kimpton into a boutique brand, but there are serious differences between their two programs -- enough that someone will get the shaft, no doubt -- probably the Kimpton guys.

Then again, their Karma rewards is funky, with a free night after 20 nights or some craziness... but they do have some nice perks like dining credit, chef's taste, raid the bar, etc.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could mix some of the Karma benefits, incl. raid the bar, with IHG existing benefits, especially free nights with points, plus they might integrate the Kimpton brand and their Indigo brand to offer synergies worldwide, that's what Kimpton needs, expansion around the world and the best of both worlds delivered by both chains. Would be fascinating to see in the future where Kimpton is going under the ownership of IHG. Interesting times ahead, we will see how Kimpton "loyalists" react to this move by IHG.

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We wouldn't expect otherwise, but an expansion of Kimpton branded hotels around the world would be nice through IHG.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but it's going to be an annihilation of kimpton rewards altogether. An expansion of properties is not going to be followed by a free night to all Inner Circle folks as they have now.

And I wonder how a status match or reciprocal status would work... A Platinum IHG member should be granted the same perks as a top tier Kimpton elite, unless they plan to match it to Ambassador instead.

I guess time will tell.

uggboy likes this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who thinks that Kimpton top tier elite benefits won't be devalued is dreaming.

DJP_707, viguera and uggboy like this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

uggboy likes this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, maybe I should renew my AMB then... Does anyone know when we will be able to start earning IHG points with them?

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As reported, at least for now the two loyalty programs will run along each other, eventually I guess they will be combinded, not dates given at this time.

foxberg likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine if IHG changes it's name to Kimpton? :D Certainly a better name and a color theme.

uggboy likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be interesting indeed, I guess Kimpton will eventually integrated into the Big IHG organization and will stand alongside Indigo and Even hotels. Also of note is that IHG plans to expand Kimpton worldwide. Looking forward to this. Cheers.

15. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am collecting IC keycards and a change to Kimpton would be very bad ... but then I am framing some of the cards and am running out of real estate in my hallway.

uggboy and foxberg like this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only those where you've stayed?

uggboy likes this.
  17. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, only the ones I stayed at. Please note that this also includes duplicates.
    [​IMG]

DJP_707, Flyer1976, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  18. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool! But why would you want to put duplicates there? Unless it's a different card design, of course.

uggboy likes this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious if IHG will just maintain ALL of the Kimpton properties or if they plan to unload some of them.

Looking at places like San Francisco or DC, you already have a solid IHG presence there -- albeit not in the "boutique" space. But there are probably 10 Kimpton properties in each of those cities, so you have to wonder if they're all going to remain in the chain.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  20. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I use duplicates to fill new frames. I can always reorganize. Also the back of some cards (e.g. Cairo or the resorts) is interesting as well. So I'd have pairs with back/front in one frame.

21. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how quickly they implement the acquisition - have big spending (wedding) with Kimpton in Phila coming up and probably should put it on my IHG Chase card.

22. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    KIMPTON IHG UPDATE EMAIL:

Dear DJP_707
    Where has the time gone? It's June already and it feels like just yesterday we announced our acquisition by IHG. We have been steadily working with our new family at IHG to identify ways to bring the best of both worlds together. We remain firmly committed to our guests and to continuing to innovate for you. We are excited by the many growth opportunities ahead of us and also remain focused on maintaining our unique Kimpton DNA as we grow with IHG. Throughout this process, we have explored every part of our business with loyalty being a top focus. We think we have a pretty compelling opportunity with the IHG Rewards Club and continue to explore how to best bring these two programs together – keeping Kimpton Karma as unique as it is and also giving you the ability to tap into the rich IHG Rewards Club perks.
    And, as always, we're listening. We've begun conducting surveys and focus groups to gather your feedback and learn more about what you want (or don't want!). As you can imagine, it will take time to build and implement, but your insight is imperative. Over the course of the next year you should start to see some of your feedback put into action as we roll out loyalty enhancements in phases. We will certainly keep you updated on our progress, but please be assured; we have good things in store!
    Beyond Kimpton Karma remaining as a unique IHG Rewards Club program extension, I'm also happy to share that Kimpton as a whole will remain as it is and, in fact, our home office is staying put right here in our home town of San Francisco. IHG recognizes that the Bay Area is a great source of inspiration for us, allowing us to be on the cutting edge and continue to innovate around your guest experience. If you're wondering what else is staying the same and what is changing, I can tell you that we're changing in numbers and adding some really exciting new cities to our portfolio, like Austin, Winston-Salem, Nashville, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Palm Springs and Grand Cayman and have a really healthy pipeline of new hotels.
    It's an exciting time in Kimpton's history, but we would be nowhere without our loyal guests and members. You all helped us build Kimpton to the special brand we all love working for and you enjoy staying with. Thank you so much for your continued loyalty!
    Best,
    [​IMG]
    Mike DeFrino
    CEO
    Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants