IFE (Samsung Tablets) Coming to 737 Transcon Routes?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This was posted by JonNYC on his TravelingBetter forum: LINK.

It appears that starting 5/1, the following transcon routes operated by 737s may be loaded with IFE options, i.e. Samsung Galaxy tablets for premium cabin customers.

DCA-LAX-DCA – 245/240
    JFK-SEA-JFK – 269/268
    JFK-SAN-JFK – 160/145
    EWR-LAX-EWR – 119/116
    BOS-LAX-BOS – 192/25

If anyone is on these routes or has seen the tablets, great to hear from you and to post back on the LINK above on JonNYC's site.

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be very curious too if these have actually showed up-- I'd imagine we would have seen it posted by now if so?

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly.

But perhaps I'm falling victim to something I often suggest others indulge in - overestimating the size of our little FF communities. :)

Travelsavant likes this.
  4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we will know for sure after tomorrow! I´m on the JFK-SEA flight. It would be certainly a nice touch, since it´s a very long domestic flight!

5. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    5/1 SFO-MIA 763 - Samsung tablets
    5/3 MIA-SFO 752 - Nope

6. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    5/8 MIA/LAX-757- No Samsung - be a long flight

7. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aside from no samsung no service also. The flight was odd number yet the service began front and the attendant practically hand you the tray with chx salad, nuts and drink all at the same. No welcome to lax no thank you on the way out, she just stood there and look at the outside door.

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No Tablets on Flight from JFK to SEA this evening! :(

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :(

The linked site was updated to stated it's not looking like this is happening, and it might be a test phase or an error.

Guess we will have to wait and see. Hope your iPad was sufficiently charged....!

10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least AA is good on that with the power ports! It's charging right now! :)

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd expect more than half the premium cabin has some device with them (tablet, laptop, smart phone) that would make handing out tablets redundant. They key would be to have the same movie and other content streaming over the inflight wifi (free section) so we can just tap in and watch the stuff. So spending money for tablets would strike me as an unwise use of scarce funds.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    And probably a decent number of pax in Y, too.

Agreed. Plus, if you have a tablet/iPod/laptop, you can pretty much load it with whatever you want and not have to depend on the airline to provide decent content. All I've needed for IFE is my iPod and a book. With the prevalence of portable devices, I don't know why on earth the airlines would/should spend any money on IFE at all on domestic routes.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA already does offer streaming content via wifi on some flights, though it's not free.

With regards to spending scare funds, I highly doubt AA is paying full price for these tablets. They're useful to AA and certainly an advertising boost for Samsung. It's likely they've worked out a deal that's agreeable to both parties. The monetary impact is likely rather minimal when compared to other financial undertakings AA does on a daily basis.

And while I agree the future will see more people with more toys with access to their own entertainment, I think IFE will likely have a future on airplanes for awhile. Even when I get on a plane with my iPhone, iPad, and Kindle I often end up looking at the options available to me on the IFE and almost always end up watching something there if the carrier has a good selection (CX and EK have been my recent favorites). The avenue through with airlines will offer you content will change, but the availablility of entertaining content in itself is likely to remain for awhile.

flightnurse likes this.
  14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd also add that while it appears that these devices are ubiquitous this could be because those of us who participate in this type of community are most likely currently or formerly in the top 10% of earners in the world. There are likely those who have not or will never own such devices, who will when flying in an upgraded cabin through whatever means really enjoy the novelty and convenience afforded by such devices.

Personally, though I have one of my own, I still enjoy the offered tablet and thought it was a nice touch, so any money spent made a positive impact on me.

eponymous_coward likes this.