If you're not GS forget meal choice (and cut backs from nrt)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Told by a fa today that only GS get priority for meal choice (1k, 2mm, etc no longer matter). Also only 4!! Japanese meals loaded for business class (and she said if special ordered it is DEDUCTED from the available meals). I think the last time UA did this was many years ago, but they quickly went back to loading extras for the special orders.
    Well, since I consider the food barely edible anyway I usually bring my own, but does UA REALLY expect people to pay for premium class seats - when the Asian airlines not only serve edible food but also have (mostly) competent and friendly FA.
    UGH.... just making it easier for me to walk from the new airline that clearly doesn't value a 2mm flier (bis miles).

karenkay and dhammer53 like this.
  2. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it's a problem that BF cabins aren't overcatered, especially to Asia where there unique menus like the Japanese meals. At the prices they charge its ridiculous.

Having run into this once on a full J fare IAH-NRT, I know how annoying this is.

3. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this only on flights operated on CO aircrafts? I have not had an issue as a 1K on UA SFO-NRT-SFO flights with my meal preference for Japanese meals. The new issue I have is the reservation agents are not able to append my special meal request to my reservation for the japanese flights now. It is listed as a special meal on the website but I have called 1K desk several times and none of the agents I spoke to have had any success.

4. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA is just ridiculous with their meals in international premium cabins. It is about $13K for discount F and >$20K for full fare F, and $5500-$10K for the range of business fares between US and Europe. Even on an econ ticket, after I've forked over my co-pay for the upgrades, they've still gotten several grand out of me. Would it really break the camel's back and plunge those flights into red ink to have a few extra meals left over? Especially since it's obvious that the food is Hyatt ballroom wedding quaility at best.

Even in F cabin, where there are only 6 (767) or 12 (747) pax max, most of the time I am told I have no choice! And I am not stuck in the back corner either, I'm smack in the middle. The FA only hits about 1/4 of the cabin max before it's my turn, and they're out of choices already? Ridiculous.

sobore likes this.
  5. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    snod08, ssullivan and cheepneezy like this.
  6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or Nuts on Clark when in ORD for the Chicago mix popcorn! Say what you want about lowbrow food; KFC, BK or cheesy popcorn it is as good or better than some stuff I've had in intl. F cabin. And that is too bad. I am old enough to remember being a kid in the 70's and watching the cart of whole ham and turkey being rolled out in *domestic* F class.

7. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want Diamond status on SMD4 you will stop slandering Hyatt.

8. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    ?? I suppose i should have said, "any mid-grade hotel near an airport ,with a cheesy ballroom". I would have gotten carpal tunnel listing all of them. Pardon me. ;)

9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    JetAway says, "No s;)up for you!"

10. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was standard practice for pre-merger CO to over-cater the BF cabins with additional meals above 100% to ensure everyone received their choice. The remaining BF entrees usually became crew meals. Of course, some popular dishes would still sell out, especially the bento boxes on NRT flights.

I'm not sure if this remains the case.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been ;)n flights were some of the dishes would 'sell out' after the crew made its selecti;)n and before any customers had a chance to do so.

estnet likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they really over-catered enough then everyone would get their choice, right?? ;)

I got shut out once or twice, but usually got what I wanted.

From NYC likes this.
  13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That ended around late 2008 when the company-wide cost cutting initiatives were implemented. And AFAIK, most major airlines around the world have switched to 100% load premium cabin catering, including the Asian legacies.

Far more insidious to me is the practice of short catering redeye longhauls, a practice that is done by some European and Asian legacies.

14. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to add my winkie smiley at the end of my post. Sorry. I think I would say "lavender flavored cheesy ballroom" if I referred to a Hyatt airport hotel.

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope UA flight/metal taken many times befor the merger ( when as a lowly 1k never had an issue about the meal) and have spoken to the FA In the past who at some point told me they were catering a lot more of the Japanese meals and ADDING extras when there were special orders, this was sometime AFTER they had cut back the Bento meals (and long after they had gone from edible Bento to "zen" or some other name for cutback quality and quantity :(

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um.. Don't you mean the sushi place near gate 33? VBG

17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or a whole roast beef sliced at the seat? ;)

18. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes that had been my experience too , on 5 or 6 flights a year over the last 10 or so years, BUT the big change to me is that they EXPLICITLY told me GS get first choice and then EVERYONE else. Eg no sorting by status (or fare paid).

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah, chateaubriand on TWA international and rack of lamb on CO transcontinental, although I remember the lamb choice being appealing on precisely those flights with better choices for white wine than red.

Xyzzy likes this.
  20. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    N:( -- I was trying to think of one of the most disgusting places p;)ssible.

21. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is only a UA problem, as a couple of years ago I flew SAS CPH-EWR in C on an Easter Sunday (extremely light load-- only 6 in C), I was 5th to order, and was told all they had left was fish as the other 2 choices were gone! (PS--if it mattered, I was 1K and on a full business fare, and to make matters worse 2 of the other passengers were 2 FA non revs heading back to EWR--I heard them talking to the FA's)

Flyer1976 and estnet like this.
  22. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes not only UA, but I am comparing my trips before Feb to after the merger - a change in policy after the merger:(

23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm sitting in the front part of the J cabin then I will get my meal choice, if I'm in the back it's always "Sorry we only have yada yada left" because PMCO did it FEBO.

24. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting since I was explicitly told "there were 4 GS who chose the meal" - fair enough I was trumped, but then she went on to say it was GS who get first choice THEN EVERYONE ELSE IS EQUAL - no FEBO, no status or fare preference.
    I like to know the rules of the game I'm playing! - and I like to be told when they change

From NYC likes this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely nonrevs come after paying customers, including those on award tickets, don't they?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  26. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One issue is that UA changed the format of the manifests at PSS. On both sides, pax status was clearly indicated. Now, flight attendants only know who's GS and (IIRC) Star Gold. Everyone else appears the same.

sUA crews are saying this is the "CO way" but old Continental manifests indicated pax FF information, along with CO*, plat/gold/silver and partner *S/*G. General members were simply "ONEPASS".

Strange that a migration to the sCO system would actually cause a loss of functionality that sCO system previously had...

estnet likes this.
  27. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    well that would explain her comment..... but my travel dollars are no longer going to UA, I'm willing to bring my own food even in C or F but I don't have time to spend 10 hours a week on the phone b/c various website errors/problems with their new "system". AA answers their phones, has agents who speak English, and they don't ask me to repeat every thing I say to them 3 times!