If You're Going to Use PreCheck, Know What to do!!

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by gregm, Oct 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that the TSA is expanding PreCheck to so many airports and allowing more pax to use it, why the heck haven't they tried to educate the newbies? Or even set them straight while in the line? For the past few weeks, both leaving my home town and also where I work, I have been stuck behind "joe pax" who, while in the PreCheck line, still thought he had to follow the non-PreCheck procedures. Shoes and belts start to come off. Laptops come out, etc. I suppose it's no big deal except when I'm expecting to breeze right through, which is every time. This morning, at the airport in the city I work it got even more interesting; The 2 pax in front of me weren't PreCheck. Usually there is an TSA guy at the entrance to the lines, reminding the pax of the 2 different lines, but not this morning. So I had to wait for both of them to be redirected, after they had their ID and BP checked. When the TSA lady heard the 3 beeps from my BP, she said something like "Oh, you're PreCheck" and smirked. I replied that I was and that the 2 prior to me weren't. She said "Oh, that's OK" and I replied "Not if you're standing in line behind them." Sorry for the rant, but I have TSA issues wherever I go and if they're going to increase the workloads in the TSA PreCheck lanes, they should educate all involved.

Whats the expression? If you polish a turd, its still a turd? Something like that. :mad:

Max M and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to believe that there's another US government agency as unresponsive to their clients the way that TSA is. They seem to commit one major error after another with anything they do. Remember the "puffers"? I wonder how many $millions ($billions?) were spent before that technology was abandoned? And the average TSA employee just often isn't the brightest bulb in the box. It almost always makes for a very frustrating experience. It's always better just to shut up and "go along to get along", but the problems are never fixed that way. Oh yes, you can complain on the TSA website, but good luck in ever getting a coherent response. As for me, I'll take the way that airport security is done by the Germans or Brits any day of the week. No messing around, and it's always pretty clear why they make you do anything extra other than the norm to get through security. We can do airport security considerably better, but not if the federal government is in charge.

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the "old days" of Pre-Check there were very few pax to contend with and they all knew what to do. Last week at MSP my non-Precheck husband got through the cattle call quicker than I did...and he stood there smirking the entire time.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    Newscience and gregm like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    May I further make my case? Yesterday morning, I was traveling, for pleasure, to NY from my home, FLL. The PreCheck line was longer than the reg/SkyPriority lines. The TSA "agent" still alternated between lines instead of taking a chunk out of the PreCheck line. (Ugh #1) In front of me, at those lovely aluminum tables, was an almost elderly couple who still insisted they had to de-belt and de-shoe. (Ugh #2) The TSA "agent" told them to keep everything on. Then they started taking out toiletries. Then laptop. The TSA agent told them again, this was PreCheck and all of that was unnecessary. (Ugh #3 You're cutting into my SkyClub time!!!) I mentioned to the "agent" manning the table/belt entry that if they were going to increase the traffic of the PreCheck lanes to 25% of the flying travelers..... Get my point? Again?

Oh, and Ugh #4 would be that after I cleared security, I saw my distant cousin......working as a TSA "agent"!

5. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    you'll find that we husbands like to smirk when we pick the faster line...;)

FetePerfection likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night, at JFK, term 4, at 6:30pm, the PC line was longer than the other lines. This sucks.

7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    But did it go faster because there was not stripping involved?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, if this were ever the case for me, I wouldn't mind. I'll take waiting an extra minute (gasp!) rather than the alternative.

If this thing is so popular and is going to be the new norm, they just might open up more PC lanes in the future.