If You Were to Design Your Own Frequent Traveler Loyalty Program...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canarsie, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...how would you create it? What features would you include in it? What components would you omit?

We see members of both frequent flier and frequent guest loyalty programs critique the advantages and disadvantages of the programs to which they are members.

What would either the ultimate optimum frequent flier or frequent guest loyalty program be for you if you were to design one from scratch?

Please be as creative as you like.

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet we get a lot of unsustainable/unaffordable dream benefits in this thread.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hotel: Elite status. I especially like that Intercontinental Royal Ambassador offers guaranteed 8am checkin. This benefit is huge for transatlantic Eastbound travel especially. And for Transpacific Westbound midnight departures. Starwood (all elite levels) and Intercontinental Royal Ambassador guarantee 4pm late checkout, it's truly wonderful to have this by-right for ease in planning. Hyatt has it right, I think on suite upgrades while offering a meaningful breakfast benefit and free internet. I love IC Royal Ambassador's minibar benefit but mostly for the soft drinks, I love having a ready supply of complimentary bottled water. Radisson's "Our World, Your Lounge" program in Europe, Middle East, Africa is a great implementation of the idea that you are a valued guest whenever you walk into one of their properties, you are welcome there (and can use internet and have a coffee) whenever you turn up whether you are staying there or not.

Redemption. Points usable on any standard room. Options to redeem more points for better rooms (club level, suites). Reasonable transfer ratio to airlines with many partners.

Airline: Elite status. Unlimited space available upgrades, reasonable access to international upgrades, lounge access at least for top tier, enhanced ability to change tickets (free changes/redeposits on awards, free same-day confirmed on revenue). Top of waitlist for all services, whether to get on a flight or to upgrade. Enhanced abiltiy to receive protection during irrops. Full mileage/status earning on discounted fares with status bonuses for premium fares.

Bonus airline elite status: 'VIP' treatment at carrier's hubs. Priority security, maybe even complimentary valet parking or rental car return.

Redemption. No award blocking, transparency in availability, generous routing rules, and the ability to hold an award for a reasonable period of time (are you listening, Delta?).

4. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a really good topic. That silly conference call in 10 minutes will keep me from answering until later. But I have one idea right now. The program would announce at the beginning of the year that there will be two 2:1 qualifying miles promotions during the year and eligibility will be determined by your being in the top 20% of spend or qualifying miles at the time of the promotions announcement. Then I would do a teaser campaign leading up to the announcement.

Just thinking out loud so take it easy on me.