If you miss a flight on Delta, is there standby for the next flight?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by enichols22124, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the title says, what happens on Delta if you miss your flight? Can you walk in and get rebooked on the next available for no charge? Or do you *have* to pay a rebooking fee? I've been flying US Air more often now and I can't remember if Delta forces you to a same day $50 fee or if you can take your chances.

Thanks.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is standby if you're DL Gold or higher by default. You can Same Day Confirm for $50 if not. You can also get standby in IRROPS, but missing a flight on your own accord as FO or non status is basically up to the TA or GA to take mercy. Try the Skyclub if you have access - they are usually worlds better for FO and non status then what you get in regular kettle customer service lines.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always just been rebooked on the next available flight, automatically in case or irops and without drama when I was just late (and this includes once as a non-status pax). Just be friendly and don't try to occupy a swamped GA.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is these days is there is little to no extra seat availability and DL will accommodate an elite before the general traveler.

rwoman and mattsteg like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on when/where you're travelling. I wouldn't recommend missing a thursday or Friday afternoon flight on a busy business route or an international flight, and if a flight is cancelled all bets are off, but loads are not typically all the way up at 100%.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    or as oversold as a few years ago.... but once in a while .... <lol>

DTWBOB

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within the last 6 weeks, I caught a 6 hour delay for "the next available flight" (which was actually the 3rd available flight between cities). While I agree loads aren't as bad as they used to be, the days of getting on the next available flight does not mean the "next" flight. They will eventually get you there, but it may be similar to a DL award ticket to the Caribbean where 23 hour layovers are common.

8. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, thanks guys....I will try not to miss it :)

9. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, how does one get through security if they missed their flight and can't SDC? Assume GM or above and willing to just "stand by" all day.

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The can issue you a standby ticket that allows you through security.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The conclusions here might need to be updated in light of the newly announced changed to DL's policies on SDC and standby. Now apparently even elites must request SDC before the original flight departs, so one apparently loses the right to SDC if you can't call in before then. I'm not sure if you would be allowed to go standby for free in this case, but I admit that I'm pretty confused by the implications of the new rules.

12. Septhinox

Septhinox Member

Status Points:
    You can no longer standby after your original flight has left.

13. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found the SC agents to be very accommodating. Most of the time, a GA will be as well if there is some seat they can put you into.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been true in the past, but under the new rules, will the computer even allow them to give you a seat without paying ticket change fees?

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as they are not busy, GAs have the most flexibility. Unfortunately the trend seems to not be a positive one.

This is a real shame because those occasional favors are a huge part of what builds actual loyalty frequently at little cost to the airline.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  16. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the alienate everyone, management will be happy. Certain things that "don't really cost them" are things they should be doing randomly (think NW UG's on international flights)

traveller99 and mattsteg like this.
  17. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was a great program. My wife and I enjoyed several TATL flights up front because of the "phantom upgrade" program!

18. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one I at least understand. It "forces" you to buy C cabin, rather than "hope" you can get an upgrade.

As to not changing the flight, BAD move. DL keeps saying "loyalty programs should be loyal." Well, lets see it.