If You Haven't Flown in 5 Years, You're Going to Hate It

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Feb 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If You Haven't Flown in 5 Years, You're Going to Hate It

"So you're planning to take a plane trip, you say? And you haven't flown in a handful of years? Well, before you buy that ticket, you might want to sit down and buckle in. Because air travel has changed a lot in recent years, and we've got a few revelations for you..."

In this article, America's popular financial advisor, the Motley Fool, describes the current state of affairs in the airline industry, including:

- more Americans are going to fly this year than in the recent past
    - plane ticket prices are rising, going from an average round-trip fare of $335 in 2009 to ~$400 in 2013
    - add-on airline fees nickel-and-dime travelers to death
    - airline mergers have led to fewer airline choices
    - expect to fly on a plane that is full or nearly full
    - the quality of service continues to decline

Read the entire article here:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ent-flown-in-5-years-youre-going-to-hate.aspx

uggboy, gaijin62 and mht_flyer like this.
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    the comments are...i don't know what to say about them other than who ARE these people. :confused: not flying does not compute to me. the concept of refusing to fly seems very limiting, and not nearly as fun as a last minute quick trip for a weekend to London or somewhere exotic. you can't drive to Europe or Tahiti. :p

ella likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also the part where the in-flight product is better than it was 5 years ago vis a vis entertainment, connectivity and power being available. And I disagree about worse service overall.

Blue Skye likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stopped flying for many years and only started flying again in 2010.
    I do not deny that there were some "stressful" times and not all airlines and flights are the same, generally I do enjoy flying and I think the crew are very nice people doing a tough job under very "stressful" conditions.
    In my own job, my team sometimes makes mistakes and not all our customers are always reasonable but I always tell my team that I've got their back as long as they did their best.

Newscience likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    He didn't mention two pieces of really pleasant news: TSA PreCheck and more flat beds on long-hauls.

For myself, I've been less happy/enthused about flying in the last few years, but I'm having trouble placing the blame for that (getting older, more cynical, and less patient?). Maybe it's disillusionment with UA since the merger. Or perhaps it's the more-crowded planes: I remember years when UA would "block" the middle seat next to a 1K and it was very typical to have a middle seat free in E+. No more.

Newscience likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is less than 200 miles drive it is faster,

In the old days and flight less than 3 hours we flew private, it was faster

Over 4 hours, I am on a commercial plane, unless more than 3 are going to the same city.

Newscience likes this.