If you have an AA award booked on JL 1 - BEWARE (may be true for revenue also)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Aug 29, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    JL is changing their flight time sfo-hnd from after midnight arriving 5am ish to leaving around 3pm and arriving 7 pmish. AA will NOT notify you , nor will JL!

So if you're just flying to Japan it may be a small problem, but here's the gottcha

If you are connecting JL does NOT change your connecting flight eg. I was supposed to arrive at 5am and leave at 11 am for a connection. The schedule change has me arriving at 7pm and leaving at 11 am THE SAME DAY (that is I am leaving BEFORE I ARRIVE), rather than changing to a legitimate connection or the next day flight (which means a forced overnight). Of course it gets worse if you are connecting further.

AA will help if you call this to their attention, but I just discovered this accidentally when I was checking my trips prior to making hotel reservations.

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out are your dates? Quite often airlines go through and contact the people with the earliest travel dates first, and then go down the list. If you're some months out, they might not prioritize calling you.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope - no notice at all (flights from a few weeks to a few months). Waiting means award space may not even to be opened by partner b/c flight sold out Also buying a non refundable hotel and then finding out you are arriving a day (or two) later doesn't work either!

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've run into similar issues fairly often. In my experience, when I book directly with AA, I almost never get notified of schedule changes. Once in a while, I'll get an email alerting me to a schedule change. More often, I'll get an unexpected e-ticket confirmation email, as the schedule change required a ticket reissue, and that required fixing the connection, so when I look at the unexpected e-ticket email, it lists the new schedule. The rest of the time the trip stays as-is, with a misconnect, until I notice and call AA.

5. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked your notifications in the settings at AA.com for your account? Be sure that the phone number or email is also correct. Check your email to make sure their message is not going into the junk or spam folder as well.
    AA has changed reservations on me that have resulted in similar scenarios as @estnet. However, they sent me an email detailing the change. I had to cancel their flight and book a new one with UA (paying the extra$) but I had no choice since they had eliminated the early morning flight and I had no alternative.:oops:

But they did give me plenty of warning.

6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, same here. I must sAAy, UA does this more effectively in general e.g. the red flag on the res when you check it on UA.COM, before any reissue.

7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am extremely aware of my AA preferences and settings, and I am extremely familiar with the spam filtering performed by my mail server and my mail client. As I said, I do on occasion get emails from AA alerting me to a schedule change, but this is exceedingly rare. I routinely book 8-11 months in advance, and often have 8-20 trips booked at any given time. Schedule changes are a given in this situation, the only question is when and how often per trip.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing to keep in mind is that if you book through a travel agency or another airline, AA does notify the booking agency of schedule changes, and it is then up to that agency to notify you. This is quite reliable in my case, on those occasions when I book through an external agency (such as a travel agent). The majority of my trips are booked directly with AA, and that's when AA only rarely sends notification.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA NEVER notifies me of these schedule changes even thought I have ALL notifications set and I have spoken to AA IT multiple times about this issue. They do, however, sometimes notify me about a flight delay 2 hours after the plane has taken off :mad::(

I was used to UA where it was clear when you looked at your trips that a notice was posted clearly that you needed to look at it.

I also was changed from first to business (because the plane was changed to 2 class from 3 class) on a 15 hour award flight and NOT notified. When I found out and asked to have it fixed it took many (nail biting) weeks. If I had waited until the date of the flight I would not have had any luck probably.

10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have to defer to greater experience. I certainly book months in advance but don't have 8-20 trips booked at any time. :oops:

They have notified me in the past about schedule changes via e-mail with adequate time to make changes. But I will admit that my total n<5 ;).

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AA's IT implementation is spotty. They do seem to do a good job at some things (notifying external agencies of schedule changes, sending flight status SMS alerts) but others are hit-or-miss (schedule change notifications for AA-booked trips, upgrade notifications).

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe they are particularly bad when partner awards are involved, which is actually the most difficult b/c AA can't solve the problem by just opening space on their flight (well, unless you are willing to fly AA first to asia rather than Cathay or JAL - that's been suggested to me but I don't accept it).
    Anyway the reason I started this particular thread is that I had about 4 trips that involved this flight and (?next month) JL changed the flight by 15 hours AND rebooked to the new time BUT if you had an ongoing flight they left the original flight so you were scheduled to leave before you arrived (I can see an inexperienced traveler arriving in HND and finding out their flight left at 11am when they had arrived at 3 pm and the next flight(s) were unavailable or even having an unexpected overnight).
    Others might be surprised when they arrived at the airport at 11 pm that the flight didn't actually leave until 3pm the following day!

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heh. So it's not actually the connecting flight or prepaid hotels you really care about. It's the Salon being served to you. ;)

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, Salon is nice (and so are amenities and quality pj's and attentive flight attendants), but arriving at the airport to find out your flight is leaving 15 hours later (or left 9 hours earlier!) is a bit of a shock.