If you have a Hilton Amex card, need to watch your Hilton point balance

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by kansaskeith, Apr 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    also, if you find you also have been "victimized," might post on this thread so we get an idea how big this problem is.

Long and short of it is that American Express is (kind of, sort of) admitting that there was a technical glitch of some sort in the posting to Hilton of HHonors points from Amex statements that closed in March, on or about March 18 or 19 specifically.

I had an unusually large Amex statement that month, and Amex forthrightly admits I qualified for 40,300-some points, but says they are stuck in "pending - in process" and can't get forwarded to Hilton. Sometimes Amex says "system maintenance," sometimes "glitch," but, whatever it is, no points.

I've had this Hilton Amex card 15 years (and it has been a "Surpass" for the last several years), and other cards with them dating back to 1974, and this is in all those years only the second time where they didn't rush to fix something IMMEDIATELY when it went awry.

I called Amex five times, and while always courteous, they just wouldn't budge, and said "we're working on it." Did offer an additional 3,000 points as a token, but of course they haven't credited either. So I sent an overnight letter to Amex at the World Financial Center in New York with a formal demand for points, plus a secondary demand for a credit to my account of $22.95 to reimburse the USPS fee, and the post office web site shows the letter was received today. We'll see what happens next. (Also have called Hilton Diamond Desk, and they say flat out they never got them, which seems to go hand-in-hand with the "glitch" wording from Amex.)

Because of upcoming travel and redemptions, I really could use those 40,000 points. Anybody have any other ideas on what I can do?

iolaire likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX is very good about taking care of such glitches, which are rare as your own long history with them attests.

It has not been even on month yet, if this occurred around March 18. Bring it up to their attention and sit back and wait for the problem to be resolved. Typically retro-credits can take up to 8 weeks to post but they generally do as soon as a problem is identified.

The card you should really worry about with not posting the correct number of points is the HH Citi Reserve visa. It got so bad I got rid of it in favor of the no-fee Citi HH card that has been around much longer and has been a lot more reliable...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    kansaskeith likes this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting about the two Citi cards. I had actually wondered about those. Yeah I have no doubt Amex will finally act on my letter. Just that I had a (relative) spur-of-the-moment Asian trip come up -- just booked Wednesday -- and those points would have come in handy for an HH redemption. And just my luck, the points always credit within a day or two of the statement, and the glitch had to occur THIS time. However, I was able to find a decent – if not top-of-the-line -- Hilton for which my existing points were sufficient.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    This ended up being fully resolved, in stages. I have had the points for a couple weeks now but from start to finish until calls from the Amex exec offices today took about 39 days. Turned out there was in fact a system glitch but only on statements from the March 18 (or 19) billing cycle, and Amex says its biggest regret is the IT side didn't communicate it properly to the customer-service side so that they could more properly respond to people who called in missing their points. Long and short is that one of those customer-service people had given me 3,000 HH points as a token, but I still wasn't getting them, or the 40,000 + I had earned or was missing. So I wrote an overnight letter to Amex world HQ ($22.95), respectfully demanding the points, and a credit for $22.95 too. The exec office finally called me back this morning and tried to explain the delay, apologized, gave me yet another 5,000 compensatory points, we ended the call politely, and then she called back and said she forgot to tell me she had also credited the account for $22.95.

NYCUA1K and Counsellor like this.