If you had to fly Y to India who would you take?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSY-MSP, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    As this crosses way too many airlines to count (well not count, but you know what i mean), I am going to throw it into this area.

I have to fly to India (HYD) from Seattle is a few weeks. Corporate Travel policy is Coach. I can pay the difference with cash to move to C, but given some of the costs, it looks like i have to slum it in Y. Cannot buy up to upgradable fares on some airlines. Cannot go through Asia according to corporate travel. So if you had to fly Y on the following airlines, which one would you pick and why? Assume Status on the airline doesn't matter.

DL SEA-ATL-DXB
    LH SEA-FRA-HYD
    BA SEA-LHR-HYD
    EK SFO-DXB-HYD
    EY ORD-AUH-HYD
    QR IAD-DOH-HYD
    AI ORD-DEL-HYD
    AF SEA-CDG- Somewhere in India (domestic carrier to HYD)
    KL SEA-AMS - Somwhere in India
    9W JFK-BRU-DEL-HYD

I may have missed one or two options, but there they are.
    Comments

2. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes. I'm sorry. :)

I'd go with AA, SEA-ORD-DEL-HYD. Any fare can be upgraded with miles or eVIP.

My second choice would be any carrier than has PE if you are willing to pay for that difference. I know BA does, but I'm not familiar with the other options.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done that a few times from SFO. Painful. I always took UA to FRA and the LH to HYD or BLR. I insisted on a one-day/night layover in FRA to recover. The thought of getting off an 11 hr coach flight just to board another 10+ hr one in LH E- hell just two hours later was just not acceptable to me. Fortunately, I lucked out on most trips and was able to upgrade the UA legs with miles or (once I became 1K) SWUs.

As for what route/airline to take -- my advice would be to take whatever is the most beneficial to you in achieving your elite status/mileage goals. It will be painful no matter what :(

Tom Hewett likes this.
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did fly Y to India ! and am here to tell about it.

Malaysian Airlines. LAX-NRT-MAA then DEL-LAX. There was a stopover at a transit hotel in Kuala Lumpur which I think was part of the ticket. This was 10 years ago, but recently in in SIN seeing a bunch of lovely FAs in the same outfits brought back memories of a really nice trip. In Y. I have a soft sport of Malaysian because of that trip - it was far better than any experience I'd had on a US airline (in domestic first) up until and beyond that time. (I'm female, btw)

Get miles and get status for free upgrades. Also get a job where they don't only pay economy for such a long trip.

5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd choose BA, EK, or AF based on the relative comfort ot their coach product.
    I know you said "assuming status doesn't matter" but in reality, I think it does, even in coach. Beyond the obvious considerations around mileage earning, I'd choose based on:
    • What airline offers the greatest chances for some kind of upgrade -- op ups are a long shot, but for example with status on, say UA or DL, you would at least stand a reasonnable chance to be able to fly F all the way to the east coast, at no additional cost.
    • What airline offers a premium economy product (eg. UA E+ isn't bad, LH Y is terrible.)
    • Ground services -- for example, if you are Star Gold you may want to consider connecting in FRA where you can have a shower, which *really* helps cope with Y.
    • What airline is the most likely to reaccomodate you easily in case of irrops.
    Outside these considerations, I'd say, the less connections and the shorter, the better. In business I try to pick long flights so that I can rest, in Y--make it brief, suck it up and move on [​IMG]

6. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    The reason I said that status doesn't matter is that if I make my decision based on that I would be on the LH flight to FRA and HYD and completely suffering in whY. If I had been able to book this trip a week ago it would have been a no brainer I would have used UA and flown to DXB and hoped a SWU would clear. However, the company booted UA from the provider program on Feb 1. I was hoping that I could use codeshare flights from LH to get out there, but we cannot book the codeshares.

As long as i pick a prefered provider to go there the company is fine.

I really don't envy my choices......

7. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope this company has other redeeming characteristics, because their travel program sounds like it sucks. :)

8. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    That depends on who you are whether or not it has other redeming charateristics.

9. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

10. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    How true. I am just dreading this trip in Y.

11. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is AA in your corporate travel provider program?

12. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are, but the Y fare is way out of line with the others, so i have to pay the difference out my pocket just for coach.

13. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have PM... errr... conversation?

14. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel for you. If it was me, I would choose EK, but you would expect me to say that. Check loads on EK via ExpertFlyer (they are never oversold due to fuel and weight restrictions) and see if you can claim a row to yourself somewhere near the back. EK's IFE beats everyone you've listed hands down and in general the food and onboard service is consistently good.

Let me know if you need anything else related to EK. The only drawback is transiting through DXB. Its a zoo. Good luck.

And my final piece of advice. www.monster.com
    Look for another job dude. This one aint worth it.

15. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who would I take? My good friend Ambien ;)

diver90 likes this.
  16. BA and upgrade to WT+. A very reasonable amount of $$ for a reasonable increase in comfort.

alternatively you could say no and resign ;) (my choice LOL).

17. Sasa
    Original Member

Sasa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you working India day hours or night hours?

If you are working India day hours, I'd go for EK. You'll arrive in HYD around 8pm, get to your hotel, get some sleep, and be somewhat functional in the morning. The Euro connections will likely get you into HYD around 3-4am, and the India connections will likely get you into HYD around 8-10am. Since I don't sleep well on planes, I try to avoid those early morning arrivals. If you are working nights while there, the early morning arrivals are much more appealing.

In general, I'd avoid connecting in India. I've had some chaotic experiences at both BOM and DEL, though I haven't been to DEL since the new domestic terminal opened.

18. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with mtacchi: choose an airline where you can book (or upgrade to) a premium economy seat (BA's WT+ or AF's Premium Voyageur).

mtacchi likes this.
  19. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd find a way to access Jet via Vancouver.

Cheers,

Flews

20. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I wasn't worried about earning opportunities, then I'd go with 9W. I've never flown with them before but I've heard good things and would like the new experience. [​IMG]

21. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had to go in Y, it would be EK for me.

KIXman likes this.
  22. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a good experience with both Jet Airways and Kingfisher. Much better than US business class.

23. If flying economy and miles are not an object I would fly EK or EY. I find the gulf carriers to be quite good in Y.

Of course if you have access to eVIPs, SWUs, or want to earn miles on an airline (or alliance) then you could make your decision based on that.

Furthermore, if you hold any status which grants you lounge access during the transit would be a plus, so could also influence your decision.

24. I agree, both have impressed me in the past. Kingfisher is the best Indian airline IMHO.

YMMV

Chimpy likes this.
  25. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My fave Y experience to India has been on Kingfisher. Very good airline. I am Flying to Bhutan in April and will be using Jet Airways to get me from RUH to DEL. I will let you know how that goes.

savydog and Chimpy like this.