If you had to choose: misbehaving children on airplane or in hotel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jmrich1432, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

If you had to pick one would you prefer a screaming/kicking/misbehaving child....

1. Nearby on an airplane?

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. In the room next to you in a hotel?

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Until this week I usually thought of my hotel as a quiet place to relax while traveling for business or pleasure. I would have told you I much prefer misbehaving children in hotels than on airplanes. Airplanes are small spaces, everyone is cramped and you can hear a crying child even if they're several rows away. If you have a kicker behind you, it's difficult to escape. However, a flight ends, you know when you will escape the screaming and/or kicking. In a hotel, it might never end. It could go on all night. If you have a room full of kids next door squeeling you better hope you have earplugs!

With the talk of all-adult first classes, and not allowing children on certain flights, I wanted to know what MP prefers. Would you take a screaming child in the room next door, or on a plane? Does it depend on the length of the flight? The quality of the hotel? If neither bothers you, what's your secret? :D

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    One reason I take noise cancelling headphones everywhere I go... ;)

TheBeerHunter, wrxmom, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least at a Hotel you can leave and go somewhere else (aka get a drink at the bar and hope they have calmed down by the time you return), or ask the front desk to move you to a different area. Though, you're at the mercy of the Hotel, there are more options.

That being said, air travel tends to be during the day so you're awake anyway (though thoroughly annoyed). Whereas at a Hotel, you may be trying to sleep - in which case I would find the annoying child(ren) to be more annoying. If you're on a redeye, then its the worst of both worlds.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A crying child on a plane is not necessarily "misbehaving". Just a child. I do wish they'd offer family cabins / sections on planes, however.

You should not be able to hear normal activity (including an upset child) in another room in your hotel although sadly hotels seems to be less and less well constructed. If you have an unusually noisy group in an adjacent room you can always request a room change.

Valentine, sendaiben, viguera and 3 others like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't vote! I want to choose both! :eek: :p

2soonold, viguera, Mapsmith and 6 others like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here!:D

7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd take a screaming child over a screaming DYKWIA in a hotel or plane any day. At least the child's acting their age.

cliq, jmrich1432, viguera and 6 others like this.
  8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like sobore and uggboy I want to vote for both. But since I can't -- I'd much prefer them in the hotel room next door. I can get another room, or move to another hotel. It's much more difficult to move to another airplane (especially once up in the sky)

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never really had a problem in a hotel with screaming kids. Seems like the hotels put singles and couples on specific floors and keep the kids on the lower floors. Take me up, up, up.

The only problems I have had in a hotel were
    1). Bachelor Party in a Suite down the hall that went on all night.
    2). Prom "After Party" in the Suite above me that had a stereo and heavy bass as well as dancing until 4AM.
    3). Political Party on Primary Day that reserved an entire wing of the hotel. (I was in the other wing, but the noise continued. BTW. Candidate lost)

11. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, I have been stuck on the same floor as quite a few youth and highschool sports teams over the years. It's not fun. I always request top floor and away from the elevator, but obviously if the hotel is full of kids, there's not much the staff can do.

2soonold, viguera, jmrich1432 and 4 others like this.
  12. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    On airplanes you have only a few hours at most that you must tolerate noise. On long-haul flights kids eventually fall asleep.

In hotels - especially atrium-style such as Embassy Suites - the noise can be unbearable. I've stayed in ESs where youth functions have been headquartered. The kids use the hallways as their playground (with parents saying nothing) and you cannot escape the noise.

13. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too was in a Homewood Suites that was lodging a youth hockey team. They used the hallways for practice matches. To the hotel's credit, the managers on duty started making regular rounds and got the situation under control. The parents? Clueless.

14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my current situation - ES & multiple sports teams (middle school aged kids). The screaming is not a baby crying, it's squeeling and subsequent screaming from running the halls/playing games in the halls/etc. Unfortunately, it's also spring break and I am in South Florida so there are no empty rooms to move to and these games go on from around 8 pm - all hours. I have definitely spoken to security/the coaches, I know others at the hotel have as well. I would change hotels if I thought that would help, but spring break in south florida. It is what it is.

That's what prompted the whole question, because until this week I would side with the plane crowd. Now I know it's not a BABY's fault when they're crying on a plane, but I have been on plenty of flights where children are MISBEHAVING (punching their siblings until they cry, kicking the seat when they're 8, 9, 10 years old) and their parents just don't do anything. I am not equating crying to misbehaving, sometimes they are the same thing, sometimes they are not.

I've never had an issue with any Bachelor/Bachelorette parties, but those would most likely be on the weekends when I am only traveling for leisure and don't really care. I can handle a steady drone of music, it's the intermittent screams, squeels, doors slamming that I can't stand because it's unpredictable.

On a side note - took a pole amongst my co-workers (all of whom travel about 75% of the time) and it was split exactly down the middle. For many of the same reasons MPers above have mentioned! :p

uggboy, Mapsmith and autolycus like this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sayin. . . :eek:

uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  16. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clueless or interested in keeping the kids out of their own hair? I'm a cynic... :mad:

uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  17. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how my wife would vote in this poll, but I do know that she has some sort of curse that seems to guarantee that when she's flying alone, she ends up next to a kid, aged 5-12, who constantly kicks or hits her while bouncing/twitching around during the flight and parents who are doing everything they can to ignore the child. That's inexcusable, IMHO. Discipline and a seat swap, separating the child from other passengers, should be on order the first time it happens, and it sure as heck shouldn't happen the whole flight.

uggboy, Mapsmith and jmrich1432 like this.
  18. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither, given a choice. Although, I'm sure, not a popular one here, given a choice b/t screaming and crying kids on a flying tube and smokers, I'd take smokers. Throw barking dogs into the mix, too, can't stand them either. Barking dogs and screaming kids will make the BP climb about as fast as anything. W. C. Fields had the right idea. " go away kid, ya bother me".

uggboy likes this.
  19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your headline was somewhat misleading, it certainly pushed my buttons and you weren't even talking about the issue I thought you were. The problem you're talking about is large and noisy groups who congregate in hallways — sometimes school groups, but also wedding parties and conventions, so not necessarily children. And while it's certainly annoying, on the other hand on the night(s) in question, the group is a much larger client as far as the hotel is concerned than you are. Also, unlike a situation with a family in which you can have a reasonable expectation that the kids will be kept under control or removed to the parking lot I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a large group (especially where alcohol or hormones are concerned) to act "respectably" in a hotel.

uggboy likes this.
  20. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I was talking about children, hence the pole on children in planes vs hotels. The way this pole started was because of a specific experience involving a group of middle school aged children (I don't know what age you consider them adults, but to me, middle schoolers are still children) running through the halls in the ES, slamming doors, and screaming until all hours that happened to be a baseball team. There are several other instances mentioned above (Mapsmith made the first mention of groups of adults, which you can see I say I haven't had much bother from), but the original question stemmed from my experience and subsequent conversation with a co-worker on the GENERAL issue of plane vs hotel which is worse.

Now for the subject of much larger client. In most instances you would be correct, one person vs a group that group would be higher revenue at least for the week in question. However, this particular hotel is the ONLY hotel in this city that our offices utilize. Because of a large client that we have had for many years in this city, there has been a team of 2-4 of us here 20-30 weeks out of each year for the last 12 years. As an individual, my 50 - 70 nights at this hotel may or may not be more than the baseball team, but as a company our revenue at this one hotel certainly is higher than ONE baseball team down for a week. I never pulled the revenue card in this situation and I never pulled the status card. My issues were not with the hotel, they were with the fact that while the parents sat drinking at the bar (and there were a large group of them, they all had the team shirt on) their children ran amuck with no supervision. I did have to ask the hotel to eventually send securtiy up, after politely speaking to one of the coaches.

What is that saying about assuming things??

uggboy likes this.
  21. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would rather be next to a screaming child than being next to a drunk, DYKWIA, jerk,

jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.