If you had to buy a new large screen (non-Mac) laptop now ...

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Nov 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    what would you get, and why? 16" or larger screen, 10 key on keyboard.

My Dells of years past were disasters (although a vendor provided Dell that isn't too old has been decent), and my current (it is aging and ready to find a "better home") HP has not been that great.

Weight isn't that important, as it won't be traveling much.

MX and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hands-down, check out the HP EliteBook computers. I've had them for personal and business use for the past 5-6 years, after having one too many Dell computers self-destruct. Be aware that there's been some corporate changes in HP lately, that I've heard rumbles about, which may affect product and service. And HP used to have (I'm unsure if it still exists) a separate business-only site that at times had much better deals on computers than the one for the general public.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/mlp/Laptops/envy-88352--1

lapointdm and MX like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a link to the HP business website. Also, the HP EliteBooks I've owned were purchased during an HP sale, at a healthy discount.

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTE...se?CatalogCategoryID=ixsQ7EN50MkAAAFDQa00QpdT

MX likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... it is the only way people with buy them!

Newscience and MX like this.
  5. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to second HP's. They are the type we use at work and they are supremely reliable.

Newscience and ACMM like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had good success with Toshiba, and in fact just bought another Toshiba laptop--- my 2009 Toshiba laptop still works fine, but I needed more processing power to create video, audio and graphics. Love it's sleek design, but absolutely despise Windows 8--- which will come on any new PC you buy.

Personally not an HP fan, but others here seem to recommend.

7. Jonathan Lee

Jonathan Lee Member

Status Points:
    Consider Lenovo? They're built like tanks and can withstand so much punishment if you don't mind the slightly uninspired design.

@Max M - what do you not like about Windows 8?