If you ever have to wonder why we dont need moderators on MP (AA board)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by newbluesea, Jun 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a great example:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...entially-offensive-fa-announcement-today.html
    The thin skinned OP and his supporters were bad enough :rolleyes:

But thread now closed after an articulate knowledgeable poster blew the pseudo-analysis of the moderator out of the water. Interestingly both mods who posted on that thread had the same anal retentive opinion of what was either an deception played on the AA personal at worse a weak silly joke.

I guess that sort of mindset is what qualifies you to be a mod over there.

zpaul, satman40, Mark and 2 others like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's unfortunate, and I won't draw too many direct comparisons as I do think the communities are very different (though they swim in the same pool).

FWIW, I have seen more snarky comments pop up on our forums over the past few months than I'd like to see. It's a conscious choice for everyone here to act civil so we don't need moderators.

Quite frankly, the next topic I read about on MP or FT that's so critical it requires that sort of heated discussion where people verbally assault each other will be the first one. Travel is supposed to be a joy when on vacation and a necessity when traveling for work. It might not be fun being shoved in coach and paying for bags while airlines don't follow their own policies, but that shouldn't mean we want to abuse each other.

I'm now going to step down off my soap box and use it to retrieve my carry-on bag out of the overhead bin.

Max M, zpaul, vickers and 9 others like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Carry-on, my wayward son. There'll be peace [on MP] when you are done.

It's much nicer over here. No patience for rudeness and a dislike of reading novel length threads keeps me happily over here.

zpaul, anileze, satman40 and 7 others like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed the crowd on this resource practices more restraint and self-sensorship. One unfortunate side effect of such civilized behavior is that there's barely any useful content here either.

zpaul, anileze, satman40 and 4 others like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am finding that I increasingly like MP's "like" function. Much like the thread rating on fatwallet and some other forums, it provides a way to reinforce the really good posts without adding "me too" posts for everyone to wade through.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    akcae, Gargoyle, zpaul and 6 others like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup, and we're working on things to try and make it more relevant. But, we still need more contributions. Chicken and egg.

zpaul, anileze, Mark and 2 others like this.
  7. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, you folks are great. I'm just here so I don't get fined.

zpaul, IDGflygirl, satman40 and 6 others like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP is clearly the more civil of the two forums. But the content has been noticeably thin at least in the past year. And those "flash sales" and "mistake fares" more often get reported on FT first, and are history by the time that someone on MP notices.

zpaul, vickers, anileze and 5 others like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that thread is an example of the AA forum and its moderation at its worst, but its really just another example of its ham-handed over-moderation.

zpaul, anileze, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  10. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mmmmmm.... ham.... :p

It is nice over here. Quiet on original content perhaps, but it's a community of largely helpful people. You ask an honest question, get prompt, friendly, and honest responses. I like that.

zpaul, alfagirl, satman40 and 5 others like this.
  11. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I'll try to not be overly critical...
    But... about four years ago I switched from DL to AA and I had been a frequent part of the DL FT community. Within a couple of months I received threats from the AA mods on FT to close my FT account. I was beyond shocked. As all of you know, I'm never confrontational and I go out of my way to be nice.... ever since then I rarely post on the AA boards. There's also so many posts it's often hard to find what's relevant. I like it here b/c I log on and if there is a major development I'll read about it without having to sort through pages of posts...
    AA FT board mods... HUGE egos

zpaul, timfrost, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many time we read and hear from one side, sometimes they get set up...

I can not imagine a FT account being closed, it is easy to offend an ego...

FT does have some decent info....80/20 rule is always there..

MP is a little easier on your head...and the info is repeated, without the garbage.

13. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I no longer like FT; it's a significantly less pleasant experience than it used to be, say four or five years ago. I much prefer MP. Though I do have to say that I have only ever had pleasant experiences on the AA forum on FT and have found the moderators to be very helpful.

Max M and zpaul like this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say that we don't have Mods over here. Their presence is just much farther under the radar, and much less frequently needed. I have had a couple of posts removed here over the years. Can't remember what they were, but they baffled me. Also had a very personal attack aimed at me, which I asked to have removed, and it was.

The cold hard facts: You could say, "Have a nice day!" on FT, and someone would surely reply with the reasons that they won't, adding that you are out of touch with reality.

Conversely, you can get a bit snarky over here, and it's almost always taken in the good spirit in which it was written. This is a much less aggressive crowd, and I definitely enjoy the atmosphere over here.

The numbers are over there, so there's more info overall, but it's like having a part time job sifting through the trash to find it. Not much help if there are 20 pages of battles between each valuable post.

Randy did a great job of building a crowd on FT, and it's really difficult to get people out of something they are accustomed to. I'm hanging in here, as I believe this will eventually make it around the curve and start to grow again.

zpaul, anileze, Pizzaman and 5 others like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's (rarely) a need for a moderator on MP because there is so little traffic. When conversations here get a bit more active and heated, I do see Pizzaman jumping in and cleaning up the mess. I see no basis for believing that MP somehow has a monopoly on nice people.

Look at the stats.

The AA forum has five threads with updates in the last ten days.

The Delta forum has one thread with updates in the last 22 days. That one thread is the SEA mini-DO thread that's replicated all over the place (incl. FT).

The VX forum has a single thread with a single post in the entire year of 2015.

Southwest has had no post since June 4.

Alaska -- no post since June 12, excluding the SEA mini-DO thread.

Marriott -- three threads in the month of June touched.

Starwood -- six threads in the month of June touched.

Avis -- one thread touched this year, with a total of four posts.

UA seems to be the most active forum. But even there a lot of traffic goes in the penalty box "chat room" and while many of the few here seem to like that, it just isn't of any interest to me. I need structure to find useful things effectively.

Newly created topics:

newthreads.png

All threads since Sunday evening fit in that little box on the forum home page. And -- no offense to the posters -- I see one that would be useful for me.

A lot of regular "faces" and names have disappeared from MP.

I'd still generally prefer to ask a question here over FT. But in practice, with the help of Google I can generally find my answer faster than I could write my post. Often on FT. And there is a lot of "accidental" learning when reading threads (mostly on FT) that can be very helpful.

As someone who has invested a lot of time here (nearly 12,000 posts don't all write themselves), I'd be curious to know what management is planning to do to turn this ship around. Because I don't believe in magic, and things aren't going to get better without drastic measures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    zpaul, MX, moongoddess and 3 others like this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that MP needs more content and I for one have no idea how to go about. But getting back to FT just for a minute ... it seems its to have taken on the mantle of the " National Inquirer"
    of the frequenter flyer/travel world and the powers that be seem to quite happy pushing that. One only has to see the silly crap as lead in stories that pop-up on the home page:rolleyes: .
    They are not picked for their content or activity and are surely selected solely based on the sensationalism by one or more individuals. I guess that's what attracts some traffic there but do we need that stuff?

MX and Newscience like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I referred to it as being created by a "click bait editor" in a recent FT thread. That said, I never actually look at that page (it just came up when someone mentioned a sensationalized thread title).

MX, Newscience and newbluesea like this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spot-on! HaveMilesWillTravel nails it perfectly with this post. Milepoint is becoming a "ghost community". We can list some of the causes, including the decreased opportunities to fly in first-class seating using miles, increased miles requirements for travel, increased airline fares, P3 MIA, etc. But that doesn't change the fact that the community here appears to be getting noticeably thinner. Solutions, anyone?

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those of us still posting here with some degree of frequency are doing all we can as members. Not throwing any stones here, but it seems to be up to Randy to find a way to draw new contributors.

When I first came here, I didn't even read FT. As the info began to thin out, I found that it was necessary to keep up with what had become the incredibly valuable information first discovered here. Now I read FT more than MP, simply because there so much more to read. I wish it were not the case. This site definitely has a lot going for it, and I miss the regularity of new contributions.

zpaul, MX, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  20. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I've mentioned this before, but we're currently working to change all this. I can't say much as it's all coming together, but it's quite the project...

Side fact that I find interesting: Milepoint's traffic has not taken a hit at all - in large part from search engines. It's a nice stat as we're doing some things to improve the site and draw more interest.

zpaul, MX, KenInEscazu and 1 other person like this.
  21. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mark,

Thanks for the encouraging teaser. However, please note that no one is complaining about traffic to the site - we really don't care about how many people come here on a monthly basis. What the posters above are noting is that the content is lacking. If traffic is high or constant, then how do we (you) get the people who come here to leave more valuable content behind that other users find useful and worth returning to get more of it?

I for one come here to glean useful tidbits that help me travel better faster cheaper and possibly foster a sense of community with fellow travelers. Quite frankly I tried FT and found it to be too snarky and too much to wade through to get what I want. I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade through all that. The size and attitude of MP fit me and what I want out of a board like this. If there were more valid content, especially on the non-UA related forums, it would enrich my experience here.

zpaul, Newscience and KenInEscazu like this.
  22. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I definitely get it. That's why I pointed it out as something I find interesting and wasn't addressing that issue directly. The founders and myself know what we're lacking and are making some moves to improve it.

We've got a wonderful core group of members, we have the traffic and now we need to try adding more value to our community that makes people stick around and share their experiences. We shall see!

zpaul, KenInEscazu and milchap like this.
  23. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP has distinguished itself as a kinder more gentle travellers website.
    Indeed it now needs to add more travel info and travel content.
    I will attempt to contribute more to my home forum of Air Canada even though my travelling days are limited due to retirement. :)

zpaul, YULtide, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What will we see first, P3(201x) or the Great MP Revival Project (GMPRP)? ;)

eponymous_coward and Newscience like this.
  25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear it's actually jam tomorrow first. ;)

Newscience likes this.