If You Collect Airline Miles, It Is Time to Consider Best Buy Reward Zone Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by WideOpenSpaces, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. WideOpenSpaces

WideOpenSpaces Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have long been a proponent of no amount of miles is to small (case in point the Audience Rewards program) or too obscure. The only reason I, and I think many others, even starting collecting Best Buy Reward Zone points was because of the potential for transferring them into other reward programs, especially when promotions like US Airways Grand Slam came around. Who needs giant televisions and over-priced computers anyways?

What is looking like it may be even more lucrative than the Audience Rewards program, is that the Best Buy Reward Zone (BBRZ) Facebook page has been giving away quite a few free points as of late.

As of today, there is a MLK one-question survey to earn a free 25 BBRZ points. There was a different question over the weekend, and even different ones the week prior, each earning more points than several weeks of Audience Rewards.

Now, the Ultimate Space tab is also open, currently allowing you to earn 50 free points just for adding some electronics to a virtual space. Over the next several months, additional rooms will open up for design and free points.

Why is this important to mileage enthusiasts?

1) It takes hardly no time and earns you free rewards (the best kind).
    2) Those BBRZ points can be transferred into other programs via points.com, allowing you to keep accounts active.
    3) If the US Airways Grand Slam promotion returns in 2013, transferring the points will hopefully earn you a free hit.
    4) On the off chance you are actually interested in BBRZ points for electronics, they can be used towards discounts.

Gargoyle, travelpye, Horse and 5 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the info.

3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now there is some wishful thinking I can get behind! I had too much free time last September...

travelpye likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, at least a year or two ago, points expired at the end of the calendar year.

5. WideOpenSpaces

Status Points:
    Yes, BBRZ points are still subject to expiration at the end of January of each year. Members should also raise their minimum on earning Best Buy credit, so that the points are not automatically converted into Best Buy gift certificates.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, there are few companies I truly hate in this world. Major arms suppliers to wartorn regions are near the bottom. Then there's Comcast. I think Best Buy comes in at #3.

As for airlines, I actually don't mind them much at all. :p

7. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that there was a minimum and had not raised it, so I had 250 BBRZ points transfer to a $5 gift certificate. The certificate is only good for 4 months, so I guess that I will be looking for something inexpensive at Best Buy.

AUSsie likes this.
  8. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with that.

arkleseizure and KathInJax like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just thank the heavens you don't have to deal with Time Warner Cable.

10. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Delta could turn SkyPesos into SkyToiletPaper, make it a 7 figure spend of MQDs to make Diamond, and I'd still hate Best Buy far, far more.

JoeCortez and Wandering Aramean like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The work required to get to anything of reasonably value is far greater than the value returned IMO. And, like others, I'll echo the sentiment that any past business conducted with Best Buy is business that I wish I had given to another company.

cvsara likes this.
  12. WideOpenSpaces

Status Points:
    A new poll question is up today about National Hug Day (yesterday) for another free 25 points = 6-11 airline miles.

Might I also remind everyone this could be your way at getting back at BB by using their reward system towards your advantage for what takes less than a minute of time.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not, IMO, possible to accumulate enough points in any reasonable amount of time that one can "stick it" to Best Buy in this manner.

Accumulating 6 points at a time - marginally 10 cents of value - isn't worth keeping track of yet another program. That's $6/hour in value in the long term, assuming you collect enough that you can get them redeemed/transferred where they would be useful to you. Very much not worth it to me.

That it happens to be with a company I have no desire to do business with means I'm even less inclined.

14. WideOpenSpaces

Status Points:
    A new 25 point question is out today asking about your headphone preferences.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And after a year of these you might have 3000 miles, right? Are you still confident that this is a smart investment of your time?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. WideOpenSpaces

Status Points:
    In addition to today's User Poll on New Years Resolutions (25 pts), there is also a poll under Member's Choice for an additional 25 pts.

17. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy Amazon gift cards at BB. Get miles/points for your credit card, RZ points, and HA miles for shopping on Amazon.

desamo and yaychemistry like this.
  18. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We can not transfer BB points to any other program in Canada, which is not good.

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, a quick 25 points for picking groundhog day and 50 points for furnishing a virtual room.

20. WideOpenSpaces

Status Points:
    I woke up to some unexpected points in my account this morning.

02/15/2013 Point Adjustment Annual maintenance points reimbursement 203

The funny thing was we did not lose 203 points at any time during the auditing, only 10 points. You may want to consider moving BBRZ out via points.com.

Also, for those still following, tomorrow will be another 75 easy points via the virtual room and member's choice tabs.