If NOT AA....then who?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by hotelexec, Dec 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hotelexec

hotelexec Active Member

Status Points:
    I have PLT status with AA and over the last 2 or 3 months I have had HORRIBLE trouble with AA. From very rude crew, sub par in flight service, dirty or non functioning aircraft...not to mention a "first class" flight ended up being a "low class" experience. Customer relations has been very apathetic....so, having said all of that...I am seriously thinking of switching airlines...completing a platinum challenge with someone else.

So, If not AA...then who would you recommend and why?

I am based out of ORD....fly mostly domestic (with a couple of int'l flight a year). I have an AA World platinum MC, a Delta Gold Amex, and a Plat. Amex. I just want an airline that has some great perks...and more importantly...cares about me as a traveller! I know that is a tall order...but perhaps someone can be the silver lining in a very dark AA cloud!

Thanks for taking the time!
    Todd

2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Netjets.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did all the other posts in this thread go?

Edit: Nevermind. I was thinking of the same thread on FT.

As I said there, you won't get the 100% RDM bonus, and that's a huge loss. You MIGHT have better upgrade success, but with the number of 1K's and half the first class space, that's a HUGE gamble vs. using 500-milers.

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  4. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you taken the time to research the boards of the other airlines you are considering? You list what's wrong with AA in your eyes, but fail to mention what is most important to you, save for hoping that your choice of carrier "cares about you." Is mileage accrual most important? Award availability? Schedule? Frequency to most traveled destinations?

Your list of complaints won't be cured by switching to any of the legacies. All of them have their positives and negatives, but looking at mostly domestic travel from ORD, you are going to find your list occurs on AA, UACO, and DL. There are plenty of threads here and on FT that compare service amongst the various US airlines, and more often than not it comes down to convenience(schedule and/or frequency) and loyalty programs that weigh in as most important.

zpaul, JonNYC, Titans26 and 3 others like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm top-tier in both UA and AA. Since you're based in ORD, I'd recommend the following:

1. Status match/challenge for Prem Exec if possible. I don't believe UA is better, but YMMV.

2. As suggested above, research the other airlines' message boards.

I think you'll find they all have their issues. I tend to think that AA is better than UA. That's based on an equal amount of miles and flights on both this year, pretty much enough to qualify for 1K and EXP (with some MegaDo magic thrown in there). Based on my experiences this year, I vastly prefer AA. I was upgrades 100% on AA this year, and about 60% on UA. When not upgraded on UA, I rarely got E+.

But, even a full year of flying isn't a really good sample size. There's still tons of randomness with that few number of flights.

While I didn't enjoy my UA experience this year, it did make me appreciate some AA details I had taken for granted. And, despite my grousing, there were some pluses on UA.

So, might be worth some time to create a little scorecard for the specific things most important to you.

zpaul, Titans26 and rwoman like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Todd,

In addition ot others' questions...

Which cities do you fly to/from?
    Do you mind connections?
    Which perks are most important? Upgrades (int'l/domestic); accumulation of miles; miles redemption, etc.

Good luck!

robin

7. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sympathetic but I really don't think you're going to get a better experience with another airline. These are problems that all airlines experience. It sounds like you've had a bad run of luck, and also the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Titans26, rwoman and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  8. hotelexec

hotelexec Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I will certainly take the advice listed. The consensus seems to be that AA is the "best of the worst" :) Apart from flying with net jets, which isn't in my budget this year, it looks like I will continue my journey with AA and see what 2012 brings. Who knows...they may have an epiphany and wow the heck out of everyone! (practicing my new years revolution...positive thinking... :) )
    Thanks again everyone. Happy new year!
    Todd

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with your 2012 travels! Hopefully, your experience of the past few months will be the exception and not the rule!! :)

zpaul likes this.
  10. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Poor service, while inexcusable, tends to be more transient than changes to FF programs and amenities, so I'd weigh the poor service experiences you've had a bit less.

I also think that too many of us believe that we alone will be the single traveler that provides a "tipping point" for an airline. "I'll leave! That'll show 'em." Sadly, the airlines are way too large these days. The only way to move an airline these days, methinks, would be to somehow organize a thousand or ten thousand elites to simultaneously pull the plug - in a well-orchestrated, very public, very media-covered way.

zpaul likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    A "De-occupy" XXXX airline movement... ;)

zpaul and mowogo like this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We won't have to camp out in airports and not bathe for weeks at a time will we? :)

13. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta Private Jet contract

14. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We care about you as a traveler. Milepoint also.

15. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Often the grass "is" greener on the other side.

rwoman likes this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, we will be bathing regularly, because we are not occupying the airports (though if you move to #OccupyUnited or #OccupyUS, then the showers may not be as plentiful)

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope not!! :) Just other carriers' seats...

mowogo likes this.
  18. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    so true everybody thinks another airline will be better than there own....

19. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    isn't that a bit of a cliche??

or you could say it is the worst of the best