If MPM is showed, does that mean its allowed?

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by Extra Pack of Peanuts, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question regarding the MPM Expert Flyer shows and if this means that the routing is allowed by the airline.

For example, when I was looking for MPM from NRT to EWR on UA, it shows MPM via the Pacific (8084) and MPM via the Atlantic (12511). Does this mean that both are legal routings for me to use to get from NRT to EWR?

I noticed that when I put in FRA-BKK, it only allowed routings EH (Eastern Hemisphere) and TS (via Siberia). I know that FRA-BKK via the Atlantic isn't allowed, so I'm wondering if every time Expert Flyer shows MPM, are they showing a legal routing (as per the airline's rules)?

Thanks.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked a few individual fares, and all specified via the pacific in their routing rules.

3. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    The general MPM lookup tool tells you what the general allowed MPMs are for possible routings for that route via allowed GIs for that airline. The airline still has to have flights that allow you to fly the route within the MPM restrictions.

4. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so basically ExpertFlyer shows you what is possible within the guidelines and restrictions of that airline, but then of course the airline still has to have a flight or partner flight that actually flies a route in that direction that fits within the MPM. Am I understanding that correctly?

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Correct. It could be that an airline doesn't offer any flights that allows you do travel from A to B in a certain direction, even if there is an MPM for that direction. Similar to the relationship of published fares and flight fare class availability.