If it can go wrong it will and UA will make it worse!!!! (rant)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    A totally frustrating day as the result of UA's incompetence, rudeness and lies -highlights

Simple delay of originating flight (actually mechanical but of course UA claimed it was not), it became apparent after the third delay that I was going to miss my connection in an international first flight - no help from anyone at gate - waited an hour at gate for a service director then left for RCC where I again asked for a SD (over 2 hour wait -no one ever showed up). Meanwhile I rebooked by calling res since RCC agents seemed unable to do anything and were overwhelmed and still learning the new computer system.

1) Asked to have my bag taken off delayed flight (at 2 hours before flight now scheduled to take off), agent first refused to look at tag "it will be taken off if you're not onboard b/c it's an international flight (US-Canada)". After being rebooked (still an hour before delayed flight took off and 6 hours before my new flight) agent states she sent message to baggage to retag on new routing.

2) Check with LH an hour before boarding new flight - UA never forwarded the bag. THEY SENT IT ON THE ORIGINAL ITINERARY, so the bag is delayed at least one day (b/c of course the original flight arrived after the connecting flight had left - a once a day flight). So much for positive bag matching.

Because I'm experienced I ended up with a 9 hour delay instead of being stuck overnight in Canada only b/c I knew how to rebook and have some status (that shouldn't matter)

Had they not lied about the delay initially (20 minutes, then 45, then 105, then over 2 hours) I could have taken another flight and still connected but by the time I could talk to an agent there was only 25 minutes and too late to change b/c "you have a checked bag and IT HAS TO GO ON THE SAME FLIGHT" The old UA would have seen I was missing an international connection and proactively rerouted me :(

Finally spoke to a really nice SD after another 2 hour wait at first class lounge. She did everything she could (before we knew about the luggage issue) to listen and try to make some kind of amends. The person all day who was truthful, professional, and tried to help.

I spoke to a few other people in the RCC who happened to overhear a bit of my conversation and universally (yes a small number) expressed anger and frustration at the "new" UA (all were 1k or higher). A few of the UA staff admitted they were aware that they were losing a lot of customers!

So now I get to deal with another airline about my delayed bag even tho UA is the one causing the problem b/c it is the last airline - and UA (lack of) customer service says "there's nothing we can do for you". Rant over.

2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a pretty bold statement given that you have only your uninformed inference and no proof.

"Hey Joe, we got a light that needs some looking into."

"Right. There's a few things that could be. It'll take a minimum of 20 minutes."

15 minutes in... "Hey, it isn't the fragistat. It is fine. I think its the thumb-horn pipe. You are going to be at least 45 minutes late."

30 minutes in... "Aww (*&^&%, the Thumb-horn strangulated the riboflavinoid, we are going to have to replace that too."

50 minutes in... "What do you mean you have to unpack a new riboflavinoid from its transgouger filament? That's going to take an while longer."

When you check a bag, it has to go on your flight. You can't decide it can go on another flight. The airline can. That isn't your choice and therefore fulfills the security requirement.

Rants are useful to release stress, but understanding how things work will get you further.

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to point out that delays can lengthen if the severity of the issue is not known at the time. For example, was on IAD-DME, and we were initially delayed for 1 hour because of a cracked fan blade that needed replacing. After 40 mins, the delay was 90 minutes because the mechanics were still tied up on another A/C. And then it became 2.5 hrs because the inspector was still working on a different A/C, and couldn't make it to our jet. I typically give them the benefit of the doubt -- they don't want to be delayed anymore than you do, so if the delay timeframe slips, it's typically not a lie, but a factor of changed circumstances.

Also, why do you need a service director? I've never had any trouble with the customer service desk, or reservations line, for rebooking.

Delayed bag is annoying, I agree, but there's nothing you can do at this point but wait it out. They might give you some $$ to buy essentials.

ETA: Geo beat me to it.

4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OPs point is that his bag did not go with him on his new route -- went on a separate plane based on original itinerary. Sometimes they just mess these things up.

Scottrick, hulagrrl210 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. They only have so many minions to chase bags down.

LETTERBOY and genemk2 like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arghhh..... there are facts I have that I didn't include - like the incoming flight was in the air and due to land in 20 minutes and there were no delay holds at the airport (per UA staff) and SHOULD have landed then were 2 additional 1 hour delays, first aircraft was AT THE GATE, then 30 minutes before flight gate (and plane changed) - most likely mechanical or crew issues since plane had been sitting there fine for hours and gate and plane change happened very late.

Yes the point I made is that MY BAG DID NOT GO ON MY FLIGHT b/c UA didn't follow their own procedures (and this is the second time they have done this on an international flight - when they changed my flight but did NOT offload my bag)

After 3MM butt in seat I think I have a bit of "understanding about how things work"

JLSocks and Geo like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but this does not excuse the RCC person who refused to look at my tag to inform baggage to take it off when they had time - there were passengers on the delayed flight who were going to miss a cruise and I didn't want them to have to wait another 30 minutes while they pulled my luggage b/c I hadn't boarded - my initial concern was for them.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Also, why do you need a service director? I've never had any trouble with the customer service desk, or reservations line, for rebooking."

My original request for a service director had to do with an issue I had during check in and with a gate agent, not to rebook - I know how to do that. There aren't any "customer service desks" anywhere I could see anymore (although there used to be).

9. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    What airport were you at that had a firstclass lounge but no service desks? I can't think of one...

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    sfo .... and all desks and SD were totally overwhelmed as the result of " we're short of staff" or some such, and what I witnessed which was even simple requests seemed to take at least 20 minutes each either b/c staff were being put on hold or didn't know how to work the new system, or.....................
    I remember CS desks, but not at the 60 -70 gates, maybe they still have them past the RCC - I didn't look just went over to the international first lounge - and there aren't any customer service desks inside security there!
    Waiting in line for 30 or more minutes just wasn't an option in my particular situation. lucky for me I had access to help by phone with people who could actually help me.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where's reading comprehension when we need it?

estnet, LETTERBOY and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be happy it's Lufthansa instead of United you'll be dealing with!

LH is very professional, will give you an overnight kit if you need one (or ask for one) and will deal promptly with things like needing a business shirt or something else that is in the delayed baggage.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think United does what Eastern used to do and intentionally send bags on a later flight for the cargo space $, though.

15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last thing anyone wants are some strangulated B vitamins. Heavens knows what will happen to the pilots on an international flight without proper nutrition. :eek:

desamo and SC Flier like this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying IAD-LAS on a Friday a couple of years ago, they routed my bag through DEN. Didn't get it till 2AM Saturday morning. Not too bad considering some of the horror stories I've read here & on TOBB (and UA let me know almost immediately when I landed what happened and when I could expect to get my bag), but at the time I was so :mad: I could've put my fist through a brick wall.

Of course, I have no idea why they did that, and it could've been a perfectly valid reason.

desamo likes this.
  17. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is difficult to correctly address your frustrations over your delay, the failure to rebook you and move your bag without knowing what flight you were booked on that was under a maintenance delay. 90% of all the agents working in the United Club (RCC) are old UA agents and know how to send a message to reroute your bag since the system used to do this is old UA, called Unimatic. The problem might have been that the flight was already loaded and ramp was unable to pull your bag. The Customer Service Centers are located by Gate 82 and Gate 79, both short walks from the domestic United Club. That being said the agents inside the Club should know how to rebook you in a timely fashion as sCO staffs the main domestic United Club with agents experienced in Shares, the new to sUA computer program. The entire UA SFO station has many current and retired agents on staff since March 3 training/mentoring sUA agents on the new system. I know this because I am a sCO agent based in SFO.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What specific procedure are you talking about? There is no rule that they must off-load the bag when you change flights.

19. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP might have been annoyed because an agent told him that his bag would automatically get offloaded for security reasons, but it wasn't, and flew on his original itinerary. So the agent misinformed him about what UA policy is.

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    i rebooked myself and notified the RCC agent or tried to that I would NOT be on the first flight which was internationsl connecting to international. the first agent refused to look at my bag tag telling me "no need your bag will be pulled if you are not on the flight because BAGS MUST FLY WITH THE PASSENGER ON INTERNATIONAL" the second agent sent a detailed message to baggage with my new routing (a long term UA agent as I have seen her many times over the years)
    as for seeking a customer service desk when i was already getting help at the RCC would never occur to me since all my past experiences suggested that service and knowledge were far better at the RCC.

21. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    As previously stated UA told me that i could not change my originating flight because "You must fly witth yourr bag on international flights"