If I get one more "Easy Update Call" I think I will scream.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Punki, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    During irregular operations over the past couple of days, we were rebooked five different times (sometimes with multiple connections) in an attempt to get us home as quickly and comfortably as possible.

While I really do appreciate every effort made on our behalf, the constant stream of "Easy Update" phone calls is starting to wear me down. :( Although we have been home for 12 hours, I was just awakened by a call telling me that my flight from San Francisco (one of the options that was previously booked) will arrive at 1:02 a.m. I am hoping that's the last one.

Apparently UA doesn't have a mechanism that turns off the "Easy Updates" when we are rebooked.

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on how the agent rebooked you. If you were re-booked the easy way which is simply adding the new flights to the PNR, you will get all your easy updates vs if the agent has the time and "truly" re-books you by removing the "old/irrop'd" flights where you then get only your "new" flight(s) updates. I had your experience when I VDB'D BNA-IAD-SFO to BNA-IAD-LAX-SFO the next day and the agent simply added the new flights so I was getting all the easy updates and yeah it can be a pita but, if I may include a little humor, it was funny to see my original IAD-SFO get delayed and delayed and delayed before finally going cxl due to mx while I was sitting at the hotel bar having a cold one ;)

Now a silly question.....you say that you had already arrived home and were awakened by an easyupdate for a flight that you were arriving on? Just of of curiosity, why do you need to know what time your flight arrives if you're on it? ;) (unless you were not traveling together and it was your other half that got the message and then it would make sense)

3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have often wondered about that myself and finally concluded that it must be for SOs who need to plan to pick someone up at the airport.

I know I sometimes track my kids flights if I am planning on getting them at the airport when they arrive into town.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I figured :)

5. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is why i have them turned off--they drive me bananas. i have the emails on, so i can check, but the calls were just...excessive.

chrislacey likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate that. My flight lands yesterday and today I am getting notifications of yesterdays delay! [​IMG]

7. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with karenkay! I have turned off the phone notifications, and rely on text messages & emails while en-route. The phone calls are totally overwhelming...and the text/email route is just as fast.

karenkay and sunseeker like this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I turned off the EasyUpdate feature a loooong time ago, got inaccurate information way too often.

There's nothing like a 6:00 a.m. flight being cancelled, and the call coming in at Midnight to notify you of the re-booking.

My Mileage Plus profile has my mobile number, so I can hear the rings and messages from them at my convenience for re-booking and cancellations.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have phone calls turned off in my notification details, only allowing for emails (email and txts go to the same phone, so no need to be redundant). I did have this stream of gems from Sunday, though (original flight was scheduled for 4:57pm)

The following flight time has been revised:
    @1231: Estimated Departure Time: 5:25 p.m.
    @1311: Estimated Departure Time: 6:22 p.m.
    @1347: Estimated Departure Time: 6:52 p.m.
    @1446: Estimated Departure Time: 7:25 p.m.
    @1526: Estimated Departure Time: 6:20 p.m.
    @1651: Estimated Departure Time: 6:52 p.m.
    @1910: Estimated Departure Time: 7:12 p.m. (I had been on the plane for about 10 min at this point)

We eventually pushed back around 7:20 and took off around 7:40.

10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We offer 24/7 client support so I can't turn off my phone, which is an idea that had tempted me. As annoying as the easy update calls can be, they can also save you when things start going sideways and you learn that you need to rebook very quickly. I am more likely to hear a phone call than a text message as, unlike my children, I do not have my iPhone surgically attached to my palm. ;)

11. MKE-MR

MKE-MR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point on the call vs text. I just set my incoming text message to a very loud, annoying notification so I don't miss it. (This of course only works if you don't get a lot of text messages...since United is the only party using that number, it works well for me ;) )

I do find, though, that the EasyUpdate messages are only for entertainment 90% of the time--if something goes wrong I usually know about it from another source before EasyUpdate kicks in.