If I cancel my card..question?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by PAinNY, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have too many credit cards and my anniversary is coming up for my AA credit card. It is the only one I have with American Airlines.
    I do have bank direct, will this keep my miles active? What other ways can I keep from having the miles expire - for an example - if I shop on AA with a different credit card will this still count?

Thanks
    Pat

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any activity that uses or adds miles to your AA account will keep the account/miles from expiring. So yes, Bank Direct should be sufficient.

3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Super - thank you

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will probably offer you 3,000 miles to keep the account open. If they do, take the miles and call back a month later to close it.

PAinNY, zpaul and alohastephen like this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the obvious caveat of not cancelling until those miles are actually in your account! it usually doesn't take too long but it can take more than a month.

PAinNY and MLW20 like this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is definitely true! You can always hang onto the card a few months to be sure you get your bonus points & then cancel... It all depends on how badly you want to get rid of the card.
    I decided to keep my AA card open since they are giving me 750 bonus miles for spending $750+ per month for up to 16 months!

PAinNY likes this.
  7. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips - I will call and see what they offer. Never hurts to try
    Pat

8. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called and got my 2nd year fee waived too for the 750 bonus points...that's really not a good deal but no fee is the real reason. Has anyone had success calling and getting them to match a sign up bonus on another card they offer?

PAinNY likes this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently called about cancelling a card I received in June. I received the 75,000 miles bonus and stopped using the card right after. I somehow got approved for two more cards so I figured I could cancel the card/ try for a retention bonus.
    I was given a very fair offer which I wrote about here-
    http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2011/10/update-citi-aa-card-retention-bonus.html

The offer I was given was also offered to at least one more person that I know so it should work for others that try for it!

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they only offer you 750 miles to keep the card open? For that particular card I was given 3,000 miles PLUS 750 bonus miles for each month I spent $750 for up to 16 months...

11. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that was the same offer. 750 per month for up to 16 months w/ the spend. I didn't get the bonus 3k miles though...darn!

12. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For my third year, they asked for $85. So, I called to cancell. They offered to give me back the $85 after five spends in three months. That was the same as last year. In addition I will get 500 miles if I spend over $500 in a month. That is good for each of the next 12 months.