If BA codeshares with Bangkok Air can I book award travel?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Jun 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a thread about BA code sharing with Bangkok air. I would guess that they would have to be a member of the alliance before we can book award tickets using AA miles. Is that right?
    BA codeshare with Bangkok Airways from 11JUN13

Kalboz likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Either join Oneworld or have AA establish a redemption partnership with them. BA code sharing doesn't mean anything for AA mileage redemption sadly.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought, but "hope springs eternal" - even when I know better:oops:

Kalboz likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Never hurts to ask. :).

But if code sharing helped, we'd already be able to redeem since Bangkok Airways already code shares with oneworld partners besides BA. :)

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sigh, I didn't know that but don't know why I got my hopes up (just tired and not thinking straight I guess)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

Bangkok Airways isn't exactly the most discussed airline in the world, so many don't know it's links to other carriers.

In addition to British Airways, they codeshare on various routes with OW partners AirBerlin, Finnair, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and soon to be member Qatar Airways.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at least there may be mileage earning ops:eek: I have a bit of an issue flying Bangkok Air, though, b/c when they were starting up I was on a plane that landed safely but returned to Bangkok and on the next run crashed and everyone aboard was killed! Guess it just wasn't my time.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

No mileage earning on AA. Most partner earning policies outline that flights must be marketed AND operated by the carrier. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is earning on JetStar flights coded with QF flight numbers on OW revenue RTW fares.