If A Downgauge Happens

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a known criteria for how UA handles downgauges in First Class?

I assume it's that paid F stays, and the folks who are upgraded are sorted out on a status basis?

OR....do they just put the people in row three back into Y, regardless?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In theory, paid F stays and the upgrade list should essentially be processed in reverse (last in, first out). But in practice....never underestimate the power of a flustered gate agent.

3. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of both happening and apparently it all depends on the GA. So, now I always avoid row 3 on the A320s just to be safe.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen to me a couple months ago on a 757 being downgauged to a 320. The flustered gate agents scattered all the downgraded folks around spare middle seats and took the "you're lucky you have a seat" attitude. I and 5 other downgraded people all managed to negotiate ourselves into the bulkhead row of coach. Dunno what happened to the rest.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA or CO I'd be surprised Downgrade Compensation was not given.

6. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA. I was unsure if there was supposed to be such a thing on upgrades. The 5 other folks sitting in the bulkhead row with me were in the same boat and some of them made it known they weren't happy. The gate agents definetely handled communication poorly at best given they had to IDB several dozen people plus reseat half an F cabin. I was disappointed in how they managed what should be a situation that isn't out of the ordinary.

Stuff happens though - I'm happy to sit in the bulkhead row and forego the fine wines of UA to get home at my scheduled time.

Flyer1976 likes this.