IDine, anyone using it with success?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by smittyramone49, Mar 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. smittyramone49

smittyramone49 New Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for iDine and used it frequently, filling in reviews but getting the rewards seemed a pain, really in effcient compared to the rest of the system? I just avoid it now. Anyone having better luck, maybe i just don't clearly see the way to redeem?

GoodBoy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome.

Back in the day when one could get 20 miles per dollar, I paid a LOT more attention to the restaurants, now with the paltry amount per dollar, I rarely look.

I have a couple places that I go to that earn. Shoeless Joe's Ale House which is VERY close to ORD www.shoelessjoesrosemont.com good burgers/beer selection, being one of the places.

Sadly the site isn't/hasn't retained the upperscale/foodie type places that iDine said they would go out an bring to their site. I find the vast majority of the restaurants to be mediocre at best.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda nice though having a Wienerschnitzel that I can spend a couple of bucks at and get credit for a dine to get to VIP level.

GoodBoy likes this.
  4. el485h1

el485h1 Active Member

Status Points:
    There are a few decent restaurants that I frequent that are on IDine's list. I think the program works out well if you pair it with another rewards card. If you use IDine for United and add a chase freedom card to the program, you can get 10 miles per dollar (2nd quarter restaurants are 5% back) United if you have the CSP or Ink Bold to convert UR points. You can also get a constant seven miles per $ if you use the CSP all year round. I just depends on where you want to eat!

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. UA has a 1000 point bonus to sign up if you spend $40 within 30 days, not great but better than nothing

6. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've subscribed to several of the available Rewards Network partnerships. For most of them, I earned the sign-up bonus and nothing more, having linked most of my cards to US Airways. I will occasionally do some recon to see if there is a participating restaurant near me, but I don't usually pay much attention (I do love the surprises that occur when I eat at a place that I didn't know participates and get the email about it later--that happens three or four times a year).

That said, I'm lucky in that a number of the places that I frequent (including two of my favorites) participate, so I keep VIP status (5 US miles/$) without trying. I pay using my CSP for a double-dip and sometimes manage to pull an Open Table reservation for a triple. It adds up (looks like 509 US miles so far in 2013--9 dines).

So yeah, I think it can be a good program if you live somewhere where it works out for you or happen to frequently travel to same. But as others have said, it works best on autopilot--set it and forget it. I stopped bothering with the reviews when they cut the bonuses (and after saying that X dish at Y place is really good in a dozen consecutive reviews, I think my contributions cease to be meaningful).

Mapsmith and GoodBoy like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

It can also be a decent way to keep miles coming if you (like me) are a leisure traveler and cannot jet around the world weekly to keep accruing miles.

To be honest getting 100 or so miles for taking the wife to a Mexican Restaurant keeps adding the miles in. (or as I said earlier at Der Wienerschnitzel--89 miles for $6.)

wrxmom and GoodBoy like this.
  8. i earnt 40K PC points last year enough for a night at the Willard IC in DC, three night award stay upgraded to the Oval Suite, rack at the time was $2,300 a night, so that year of dining did well

wrxmom and Mapsmith like this.
  9. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. I think in 2012 I earned almost half as many US miles through this dining program and Hilton double-dips as I did from flying. So it can definitely help serve as a slow-burn accrual engine if you're not flying much.

Mapsmith likes this.