Identity Theft and Credit Card Fraud: What You Can Do and How to Reduce Your Risk

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    The bank which issued one of my credit cards sent an e-mail message yesterday claiming to have denied a charge from a company from which I have never heard. I was asked to click either a green Yes button to verify the legitimacy of that questionable charge; or a red No button to indeed verify that the charge was not legitimate. I did what you are supposed to do: call the bank which issued the credit card and speak to a live person and never click on the link provided in the e-mail message nor respond to the e-mail message. I have received a lot of e-mail messages lately from what appear to be legitimate companies asking me to click on a link to either send them information or verify something; and almost always, I hover my cursor over the link for a second, which then ultimately reveals the usual confirmation that the e-mail message is a “phishing” scam where a questionable entity is attempting to gather vital information from me — most likely for the sender to send a virus to my computer or be able to steal my identity. Upon calling the telephone number on the rear of my credit card — which I did last night — the representative confirmed that... The post Identity Theft and Credit Card Fraud: What You Can Do and How to Reduce Your Risk appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...