Ideas for the presentation to SAS on October 7th

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by tommy777, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

As everyone knows, milepoint members took the initiative to the first Nordic SAS milepoint meet up. We've been asked to put together a ppt and present how we think SAS can be better.

Pls post your ideas here and I'll compile it

Cheers

-Tommy

LifeStyle and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lie flat seats!

I think you'll find a lot of good stuff posted @ http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/new-sas-business-cabin.17172/

For example:

vulle and OY-JFS like this.
  3. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    - A unified inflight service product on all flights, that include free drink service and snack.
    - Move away from the no frills DY fighting SK.
    - More recognition as SK Gold.
    - Better/more loyalty benefits, 25 % ++
    - New products on all NB, with Inflight maps on all flights.
    - New WB planes with a improved business class seats, economy extra and economy, with Avod.
    - And for the plane nerd in me: More angels on the in flight cameras and channel 9 :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep - I started that thread to get some input to the presentation.

The request from SAS is to present ideas how an "ideal airline" should be - so I guess we really need to think outside the traditional discussions...

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Adjustment (i.e. Improvement) on which classes gives 25% vs 100%
    Possible for discounted restricted tickets in business and economy extra on European flight
    Better harmonization on the BoB

martinfoss and HerrO like this.
  7. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what makes me most iiritated every time I fly SK..... Remove that rule or as Someone wirtes adjust it to a fewer classes at the very least. It is almost a daily pain point when flying SK.

/HerrO

8. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    As said, I'm more in favour of adjusting the limit, than removing it. Can't have too many EBGs filling up the lounges and Fast Track you know ;)

As said, the cheapest 100% tickets are rather pricey, while the cheapest 25% are so cheap I don't mind only getting 25%. With the lowest booking classes, even with 25% rule, the NOK:points ratio are usually around 1:1

Another important improve is to get a working and more userfriendly website!

Is there anyone who has the time and resources to be responsible for making a draft of the presentation?

9. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    I think we should divide our presentation in some sections. I could imagine something like this:
    • Booking and pre-fligth service
    • Flight experience (Hard and soft)
      • Domestic (intra scandinavian)
      • European
      • Overseas
    • Eurobonus progamme
      • Earning and burning
      • Gold/Silver benefits
    I made a quick draft here...

SK2868, SASDC8, HerrO and 2 others like this.
  10. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks good to me....just need the content sorted out:p

11. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My two cents (note, half baked ideas between work so I've probably forgotten quite a few things)... Also note that this isn't my version of the ideal airline, it's just some quick-fixes that should be possible to implement without killing SAS' bottom line.

Booking:
    • Redesign of SAS-pages (remove the 100 different banners and big blocks of text - less is more)
    • Consistent design across all SAS-pages.
    • Possibility to select EB-Bucket / level of flexibility during booking and 24hrs after booking
    • One unified webpage for SAS with the same information on all versions/languages
    • Update TPC/TPI booking engine to the current/new generation
    • Update low price calendar more than once pr. day
    • All functionality should work with all current browsers
    Eurobonus
    • Implement new 50% and/or 75% buckets for the more expensive eco-tickets
    • Free or discounted BOB for EBG
    • Set up EBP as a new level with actual requirements and benefits
    After booking
    • Functionality to change tickets that actually work
    • Possibility to connect bookings made w/o logging in to my profile
    • Implement a travel calendar with overview of all trips booked
    On ground
    • Consistent service level on all stations (at least one *G/C chkin, crew available for support etc)
    • Consistent visual profile (signs, names etc)
    • Lounges and fast track on all business-destinations
    • Improve service offerings in all SAS-operated lounges
    • Sufficient training to ensure that staff actually knows about products, rules and destinations
    In flight - general
    • Equal or better pitch than LCC-competitors. Everything after row 10 on many SAS NO planes are torture today
    • Clear and consistent service level on all flights
    • Reinstate the Braathens attitude ("smilekurs")
    • Get back "endelig fredag". Best flight of the week
    • Stop the implementation of new seats - reevaluate and select a seat type that's actually comfortable
    • More helpful crew during delays/irrops - The PAX should be informed about any changes before landing if possible.
    In air - Short haul
    • Implement Eco Extra on domestic as promised
    • Free soft drinks / coffee in Economy
    • Improve BOB-menu in Eco. Eg an actual sandwich on shorter flights.
    • Improve food in Eco Extra
    In air - Medium haul
    • Same comments as short haul +
    • Implement Eco Extra and/or Business restricted with no flexibility and lower prices targeted at leisure marked
    In flight - Long haul
    • I'll leave this one to the people who actually fly SAS on LH

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some type of allowance where possible for Star Gold for Fasttrack (CPH springs immediately to mind!).

OY-JFS likes this.
  13. Well, since everyone can have their say, I'll make a few comments as well.

EB:
    - I really think BA did something very smart when they reintroduced the 100% earnings in Economy.
    It is something that would make EB much more attractive than it is today.
    - The Silver level is completely useless, except from some time saving benefits.
    5 Osl/Cph/Arn-lounge vouchers should be added for it to have a clearer value.
    - Luggage tags are not as good as they could be. I would say they should look to Miles&More.
    Silver baggage tags should be re-introduced.
    - If there's going to be a closer collaboration with SQ (CPH-SIN), they need to do something with earnings.
    Just flew LHR-SIN and got 25% Earnings on a £600 oneway Economy ticket. SQ KF gives 100% in all economy classes.
    - The 'My Eurobonus' page should look and function much better.
    - Possibility to print out temporary Member Card like one can do with Flying Blue.
    - Better upgrade options, e.g. after you've booked saying 'upgrade this flight to Economy Extra for only xxxxx EB-Points'. Online upgrade as easily as it is with M&M.
    - No expiration of the miles as long as there is flight activity on the account.
    - Status length validity extended to 2 years.
    - EB points on Shopping at OSL, CPH & ARN. (Eg Heinemann + M&M)
    - Collaboration with BAA Worldpoints and SPG

Onboard:
    - Make sure that all cabins are the same
    - More efficient use of the cabin space, rethink the layout very thoroughly now that there are big changes taking place.
    - Choose same seats as Lufthansa on SH
    - Free soft drinks, tea and coffee on all SH flights
    - Recognition to EB Elite customers at boarding announcements

Airports:
    - More clear SAS presence. Blue SAS posters near check-in and boarding areas.

14. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it's also very easy to become EBS...and the lounges and fast track are full enough already

OY-JFS likes this.
  15. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    A request I have is to get a Fast Track in GOT! Monday mornings are a nightmare when all the charter flights are leaving...:-(

Beside that, I think BGO-Commuter's list is great. For the LH, I would add New seats, lie-flat but DO NOT take away the buffet!

16. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea about the vouchers, but they should only be valid for the Business lonuge. Then they won't take up our space in "gullstuene". :)

OY-JFS likes this.
  17. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    BGO-commuter summed it up pretty nice, i guess. Consistent service across all shorthaul flights - be it domestic or european flights - should have some kind of consistent service. Maybe BOB on top of that, like AB does nowadays. Re implenting new seats for the shorthaul cabin: SK should take a look at Lufthansa on how not to do it. Some obscure "testing" of a new seat resulted in an lightweight seat, some additional seats per frame - but also an absolutely uncomfy seat.

18. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Allow stopovers on *A awards, please.

joemume likes this.
  19. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    - Priority boarding that actually works, not just "EuroBonus Gold members may board at their leisure" when there's 150 people blocking the gate.

- Fix the goddamn luggage tags, come on! They're embarrassing and cheap. I have no problems attaching my SEN tags to my bags because they're good quality and classy (i.e. no one besides LH staff knows what they mean).

- Redesign the EB cards. Have some famous Scandinavian designer do something cool and classy.

- More campaigns. More bonuses. More action please!

- More events. Have AmEx or SEB pay for it and book Tusenfryd/Tivoli/Grönalund/(What do you have in Finland?) for an EBS/EBG/EBP only event. If my cheapo bank DnB NOR can do it, so can you.

- Try to avoid assigning a middle seat to a EBG or EBP. I was on a flight once with three EBGs in the same row (ABC) while E and F was available. Eh, huh?

- I won't (never, ever) expect SQ-like service on board, but what about a special shout-out to your Pandions and even us lowly EBGs? Just a thank-you will do. Nothing big.

- Fix your mobile site. My iPhone has over 600.000 pixels yet the freaking seat icon is what, 0.5 pixels times 0.5?! Stylus are so 1990. We use our fat fingers now, SAS.

- The iPhone app that was supposed to be launched way back?

- Publish EBP requirement and benefits. Try to match HON as much as possible. Make it a reachable level or introduce EuroBonus Platinum.

- Better food in OSL and ARN lounges. Especially ARN -- although it helps me keep my weight (because the food is so bad I never eat there).

- Upgrade vouchers when reaching and upon re-qualification of EBS/EBG. Even LH has them.

...and my last bullet point:

- If you pay 350.000 KR for a TravelPass, you don't even get a thank you letter -- let alone an extra EB bonus. Come on. Even the SAS teddy bear would be nice — and please, PLEASE remove the 3.000+ KR service charge fee on a TravelPass when you either way ask your best customers to sign up/renew for it themselves online...

OY-JFS, tommy777, TuomasEBG and 3 others like this.
  20. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing people here seems to forget: I want my priority tagged bags to come FIRST, NOT last on the belt...

vulle, OY-JFS and HerrO like this.
  21. I want seatblocking in C on the CRJs. It just too uncomfortable be squeezed like a sardine, and you can't even open and read your paper unless the guy next to you wants to share the paper, and it is far from what you could expect in business class.

22. raunow

raunow Silver Member

Status Points:
    As EBG for the last 10 years, in my opinion, SAS should focus on a brand and product that is actually obtainable and viable. For SAS to expand massively in routes, product and service is not realistic

SAS is the only Global Scandinavian Based Full Service Airline, and should base it's brand on the perception of the values and qualities inherent in that brand:
    - Punctual and reliable in both operations, service and customer relations.
    - Solid and competitive (but not bleeding edge) quality in air and on ground.
    - Focus on value perception for loyal, spending customers to ensure retention.
    - Friendly, engaged, informal and hospitable to customers.
    - Competitive and transparent prices compared to quality, but not discount priced.
    - Dynamic and prepared for change, with proud historic roots.

Based on these brand values, I'd suggest the following.

Punctual and reliable in both operations, service and customer relations:
    - Maintain focus on (and branding of) operational punctuality.
    - Fix/enforce priority boarding.
    - Fix EBG Bangkok retro registration disaster.
    Solid and competitive (but not bleeding edge) quality in air and on ground.
    - Introduce seat blocking in short-haul C as official benefit.
    - Plan C seat upgrade in long-haul (not dramatically worse than main competitors products yet, but LH is in the process of upgrading).
    Focus on value perception for loyal, spending customers to ensure retention.
    - Give lounge access to EBS in own Business class lounges (competing FFP’s has this).
    - Give upgrade vouchers to EBG’s (competing FFP’s has this).
    - Remove point expiration for EBG’s (competing FFP’s has this).
    - Make EBP a public level with fixed qualification requirements (like LH HON)
    Friendly, engaged, informal and hospitable to customers.
    - Maintain informal Social Media (Facebook, Twitter) presence.
    - Strike down hard on poor/indifferent/hostile customer service.
    - Serve free coffee/tea/water on all flights (or in gates like LH).
    Competitive and transparent prices compared to quality, but not discount priced.
    - Open line for customers finding massively uncompetitive prices compared to other full service airlines (BRG concept possible ?).
    - Keep 25% earnings for deepest discount tickets, but use 50%/100% for more expensive classes.
    - Offer upsell to 100% earning when buying economy tickets online.
    - Release more award seats on longhaul (eg. C seats are very hard to get).
    - Allow one-way and stopovers on Star Alliance awards (especially since SAS longhaul awards are hard to get, and routes are limited).
    Dynamic and prepared for change, with proud historic roots.
    - Maintain branding of Scandinavian pride and feeling of “coming home”.
    - Engage activily in User Forums (FT/MP lurkers) and embrace communities of customers like eg. Lego.
    SAS has a very loyal customer base - proven by the fact that I've just spent an hour on the above "free consulting" !

gene134, Robbiedeluxe, SASDC8 and 8 others like this.
  23. Erik

Erik Active Member

Status Points:
    +1

This is really, really annoying. Boarding last only to find your luggage space being occupied by a guitar belonging to a guy in row 20. (Crew should also pay more attention to this - like LH does.)

(this is made even more annoying by the fact that many of the older 737s have no luggage space on the first 1-2 rows. Some smart person figured out it was a good idea to use the luggage space of premium paying PAX for different kinds of equipment.)

Bastholm likes this.
  24. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problem is that I don't know if it would work in Norway. I remember vividly the chaos and anger when Braathens tried to board their "Best"-customers first. I've never been yelled at so many times, and priority boarding was actually annoying most times. Maybe Norwegians are ready for it now, but i doubt it..

I actually get a thank you-letter every year, but few other perks. Funny thing is that after I was updated to EBP all communication from SAS stopped - I don't even get the monthly EB-update by e-mail, and no information about campaigns, offers or product updates.

25. Erik

Erik Active Member

Status Points:
    It will work if they do it properly. Keep a seperate line to make sure that premium PAX can make their way up to the gate agent without having to use elbows. Most people do respect signs - and if they don't it's up to the GA to make sure they don't board people who are in the wrong place. However, I'm quite sure that's not even necessary. Almost every single gate at every single airport in Norway will have more than enough space for a solution like for instance United have.

(The way Braathens did it was flawed from the beginning. They cramped all Back PAX in 1/3 of the plane and really did everything possible to make you feel as second class citizen. I believe every airline with divided service classes today thinks of it the other way around. Every PAX is important but then you have a few premium PAX who are handled a little bit better in a subtle manner.)

OY-JFS likes this.