Ideas for MP program 2013

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Sep 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    What changes would you like to see (if any) to the program next year?

- Rollover mile/segment overages
    - Multiple Payment types on one PNR (I.e. pay for one person with miles and cash for another)

I realize I'm living in a dream world, but since we all know United reads these boards, may as well take a stab! :)

What ya got MPers

BuckleandBoots and 8MiHi like this.
  2. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not driven by frequent flyer program but is a general limitation to all airline GDS. The fare basis of all passengers need to be the same.

You are probably wanting the companion (on separate PNR) benefits work better.

Doubt there will be major changes this time -- too much change has been the cause of many recent issues. Focusing on completely and reliably implementing past changes should be the top MP priority.

More visibily on the waitlist befoe the 24 hour period would be helpful (understanding position can change).
    Presently there is no "immediate" MM benefit -- some kind of benefit for active MMers would be nice.

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely disagree with Rollover PQM. I also disagree with credit card PQM but that's a different matter.

Changes I'd like to see:
    - A higher level than 1K that's published (e.g. 150K PQM)
    - United Club access for 1K or the higher level mentioned above

I think at this point we can all hope that they don't gut the program as opposed to adding features/benefits we all actually want.

-RM

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than free club access, what would the higher tier get? More upgrade certs? ;)

Folks flying 150K+ are likely doing it mostly on long-haul anyways so higher CPU priority is probably less valuable. And with the company not giving free lounge access to GS it seems unlikely they'll do it at a lower level. Plus, if those customers are flying longhaul anyways they get in as *G. I'd think the incremental benefits aren't worth creating the tier.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agree about the long hauls and CPU ranking being somewhat moot - although it *would* help.

I haven't thought through all of the benefits of a higher tier. More GPU/RPU? Sure. But I think the higher ranking above 1K's is what's most important here. Since you have to be at least 1K to get GPU that makes only two statuses capable of using the instruments - GS and 1K. I think someone who flies 150K+ should have higher ranking than "just" a 1K on GPU.

I don't think UA will create the higher tier. They'll work more towards increasing the qualification limits for the tiers they already have IMO. Probably not this year. But it's a net loss game at the end of the day - the qualification requirements will continue to rise while the benefits will stay the same or decrease.

Elite programs will continue to be gutted and/or driven solely on revenue. What the US-based airlines don't get is that they just haven't created an overall product that people want to pay for. Bring back proper food in the clubs, proper first class seating and many other things and the people will come. (Preaching to the choir...)

-RM

8MiHi likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Companion benefits on separate PNRs. This has been a thorn in my side on many occasions, and I can't figure out how it really benefits them to have such a policy. Travel with my 27 year old daughter is often booked at different times as her job schedule is less flexible than mine, thus she decides to join me after I have my trip booked. I would enjoy having her sit with me when/if I get an upgrade. Same for my GF who doesn't get to travel with me often, but on those rare occasions where she does I would like to treat her to my perks. I'll leave my daughter in coach alone if I must, but I will not leave my GF alone in coach OR give her my UG. :D

7. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much better companion benefits; for award bookings as well as straight up bookings. Perhaps a better points and cash option. At the end of the day, I'm not leaving my fiance' in coach if I get upgraded, and she won't take it while I stay back. It's actually rather frustrating.

BuckleandBoots likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is true at all, at least not at levels which are sustainable to the business.

People won't pay enough extra for those things and corporate travel contracts simply don't care about them at all.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree with everything in that post. Also, the addition of just one more elite level has already resulted in lower levels not being worth much (I used to consider Premier Exec as a nice fallback status, but no longer do). Why would we want to dilute elite (including 1K) benefits further by creating yet of another elite level of dubious value?

Rather,
    would seem like an excellent task on which MP can spent their time in 2013...

8MiHi likes this.
  10. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should do something with companions on other records, if at least at the 1k/GS level.

I think they should also eliminate the Silver level. And if they need to trim the elite ranks, perhaps reset the elite levels at 50/75/100/125 if Silver remains.

The clubs are packed and I can't imagine they'd give memberships away to even the highest tiers. Although it'd be a great add for the Million Milers.

And speaking of Million Milers, it'd be nice if it meant something when it came to upgrade priority. I.e. before clearing 1ks, clear 1ks that are MMs.

8MiHi likes this.
  11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We'll agree to disagree :)

Would suck for the 1K's to dilute them, agree there, but for those of us flying 150K+ it would be nice to have some recognition for it. I think the new UA is so indifferent to 1K's, unlike the stories I used to read about how they treated 1K's well, because there are too many of them. Silver is already worthless and Gold will continue to become so.

And there will never be consensus on something like this because those who are 1K and can't or don't want to make the next level (just using 150K as an example) will always argue to not have that elite level. While those who consistently fly 150K+ every year want it for the new benefits it provides as well as the recognition. I believe UA would be smart to add it.

-RM

8MiHi and traveltoomuch like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a non sequitur...

Those who fly 150K PQMs or more already have that recognition: they receive 2 extra GPUs, which I will be spending nearly $4K extra at the end of the year to get by purchasing PQMs to reach 150K PQMs from about 112K, because I am a long-haul traveler and could always use more GPUs. That is REAL money that I will be spending for more GPUs! The difference between Premier Platinum and 1K is that the latter gets 6 GPUs. Therefore, those who fly 150K PQMs or more and get extra GPUs for it are automatically ahead of 1Ks, although they are still 1Ks. You would like for them to have a named level of their own, so what benefits would you suggest for this new level so that it would be different from being a mere 1K? Reductio ad absurdum: Would you then advocate that another, higher level be created for those who fly over 200K PQMs? Where does this stop? The extra GPUs for those who fly extensively above 1K are excellent recognition. There is no need for the proliferation of elite levels, which would put pressure to downgrade further the benefits for the lower levels, simply to establish clear differences between the levels.

13. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I would have to choose just one single thing, I would with no hesitation at all choose rollover miles/segments...

BuckleandBoots, 8MiHi and Klagetoh like this.
  14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe they are focusing on improving the front cabin margins, so any 'improvement' to the program that gives economy tickets greater 'free' access to F or C will be shot down. PRASM has been declining and appears not to have stabilized so it is unlikely that anything that costs them extra without bringing in extra revenue will also not be on the table.
    They want to sell those F and C tickets, not give them away, even to those who believe they have earned them.
    My observations make it clear to me that Silver and Gold benefits are to end at the cabin curtain if there is any cost or lost revenue to the airline. As an investor I cannot say this is wrong.
    This is part of the evolution of the FF programs with the intent of making them profitable in ways they are not now. This will be true at every airline.
    I think that by 2015 eligibilty levels will be raised and/or other revenue affiliations (such as CCs) required. The 150K level may come about this way.

15. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather than offer a suggestion, I want to know when UA will announce the 2013 program. Wasn't the 2012 program announced earlier in the fall?

8MiHi likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    2012 saw the merger of two programs. I am not sure about CO, but UA hasn't had annual "program announcements". They announced changes whenever they felt like it was needed. So I don't really understand this thread.

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    PMCO always put out an annual guide. The announcements often came late (sometimes in January or February) with the elite guide sent with your new card since they usually didn't change the program much. When they did make a big change, they tried to give you notice many months in advance.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With PMUA you got lucky if you got an annual membership card ;)

genemk2 and 8MiHi like this.
  19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just what we need, changes to the program. Then we can have hundreds more threads here (and the other place) of people whining and complaining of how this or that level had been "devalued" and how angry they are and how UA hates elites, followed by threats of lawsuits etc etc etc.

By the way, how are those lawsuits going in regards to the whole million mile deal? Nothing, didn't think so.

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be very surprised if there were any serious changes for 2013. I hope they take COs approach and provide decent documentation, even if its via email.