Ideas for Christmas in Santa Fe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by riverchica, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last minute Christmas trip to Santa Fe!
    We'll be staying at the Inn of the Anasazi Dec 24-26 and would love suggestions on what to do for Christmas around town. Thanks!

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    based on weather forecasts, bring your ski's!

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine that the Church downtown will have some sort of service which could be quite impressive.
    Second, the skis.

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suggest Bert's Burger Bowl and The Zia Diner. Both are excellent.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are there on Sat morning the market (fresh produce/food/arts and crafts) at the old railroad station on Guadeloupe is worth a visit....the general area is worth a stroll lot of interesting shops, galleries etc.

Make reservations for either the Compound or Restaurant Martin.
    Considering your time frame just walking around the old town area would be just about it.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the nearby Pueblos have ceremonial dancing on Christmas day, or the days surrounding. Tourists are not particularly invited but are permitted at some of the events (no photography). You'll have to call the Pueblo offices to get the approximate times for the dances (and don't expect things to happen exactly at the scheduled time). There may also be listings in Pasa Tiempo.

On Christmas Eve after dark everyone gathers on Canyon Road and walks up and down looking at the Faralitos (candles in brown paper bags), caroling, and popping in and out of galleries. Not to be missed!

7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that the weather has been particularly bad in New Mexico these past few weeks, and that there is currently a storm rolling through that may dump a foot of snow. Be prepared, and keep and eye on the road conditions at www.nmroads.com.

8. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm hoping the weather doesn't thwart our tip. I have a direct flight but my boyfriend has to connect through Denver. Yet another occasion in which he's appreciating my payoff from the miles game that he used to snub!

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Direct to Albuquerque or direct to Santa Fe? The drive up I-25 to Santa Fe will take just over an hour from ABQ... if the weather is good. If it is not, take it easy (and hope that I-25 is open all the way.)

10. I have no batter idia about this issu.
    because i will celebrate first time to Christam with friends Group.
    Sorry Guys.

11. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a great time in Santa Fe for Christmas. Thanks for the suggestions!
    The weather almost but a damper on our plans, but I-40 and I-25 reopened just before our drive and we didn't have any issues. It was a beautiful white Chrismas in Santa Fe!
    We had a late lunch on Christmas Eve which was a tasty, inexpensive option. Most of our meals were at the Anasazi (thanks, FH&R dining credits!) . Their Christmas Day lunch was delicious!