Ideas for a Single International Traveler

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by luv2travel, Aug 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for some ideas out there on where to plan a trip for around May of next year. I have just over 2 million HH points so I'm not concerned about point usage. However, before everyone hops on the Maldives bandwagon...I am looking for something non-romantic as I am single and in my mid-20s. Typically I meet up with a good friend or have a sibling tag along on my vacations so it gets extremely awkward in a place like Bora Bora, Maldives, or Hawaii.

Any ideas for a single international traveler? I haven't been to a whole lot of places in Asia or South America yet...so I was kind of leaning towards those. I've extensively done Europe and Australia.

I did enjoy my visit to Conrad Bali this year..and was thinking about possibly trying another Conrad. I'm very much into the culture of a place and historical sites too...so it's important that I pick a location that has a ton of interesting things to see and do.

Any recommendations on hotels/areas would be great. I'm open to anything!

Thanks! :cool:

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should visit Brazil. Our country has improved a lot, you could arrive in Recife with AA and enjoy the different beaches and parties there, come to the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro, take some awesome pics and finally get to know the Green Coast of the Southeast Atlantic taking the road from Rio to São Paulo via Santos. Our currency is almost half of yours and prices here are very cheap. We have hotels like Hilton, Intercontinental, Best western and others!!! If you want anything more specific email me! Have a great trip! ;)

Toula and luv2travel like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Conrad in Singapore is reputed to be excellent. Singapore is fascinating and a great foodie place. It's safe and things work efficiently.

Hong Kong would be more exotic.

luv2travel likes this.
  4. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll second the Conrad Singapore. It is a facinating place with really good food. If you go you need to try the Chilli Crab at a Hawker Center.

Tokyo and Japan is a facinating place as well but can get a little expensive depending on what you do.

luv2travel likes this.
  5. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever stayed at the Conrad Hong Kong?

6. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've thought about Brazil...but there is just such a lack of Hilton properties there. Same with Peru. I don't get it. Clearly people want to go to Rio but then Hilton only has properties in Belem and Sao Paulo. Same thing with Peru. I would love to go to Machu Picchu and stay in Cuzco but of course there is no Hilton there either. Closest one is way over in Lima.

I mean having or not having a Hilton hotel won't stop me from going to Brazil and Peru...but it does cut down on the cost if I can cash in points.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. I was suggesting Hong Kong in general, not a particular hotel there, although I love both the Peninsula and the W in different ways.

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would second the Brazil suggestion. I went there as a single woman in my 20s and had an absolute blast. I was travelling with a girlfriend and we didn't see the inside of a Hilton Hotel but would recommend it is definitely worth a look.

Our trip lasted a month. We started in Rio, had a pass that allowed us to fly around. We went to Brasilia, Manaus and did a side trip down the Amazon, ended up in Recife I believe.

Socially it was fantastic. Even though there was a language barrier because we only spoke English, people were so welcoming and we managed to get everywhere we wanted to go. Food was great and we were out clubbing a lot.

luv2travel and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  9. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hong Kong would be fun and you can do a day or few days trip to Macau. Conrad Hong Kong is a lovely hotel. Service is great and I really loved the executive lounge. Last time, I had a peak view room and you get harbour views from the executive lounge, so I really enjoyed having both views.

Conrad Singapore is a good choice too. I like the location. The zoo is nice and of course lots of shopping & dining. Conrad Tokyo gets great raves. Perhaps, Hilton Buenos Aires, it is also nice. I don't mind the location. And of course, a tango lesson or two in Buenos Aires is great fun, well, it was for me anyway. :)

luv2travel likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    one more reason for milepoint having a CC like forum.

luv2travel likes this.
  11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I went as a single traveler to the Bora Bora hotel just before it went from SPG to Hilton and had a great time. All I was looking for was water and I had some of the greatest snorkeling I ever had there. Relaxing, headed onto the main island every now and then, but really enjoyed it. In fact, the photo to the left was taken there.

But if you do want more to do, then I’d certainly recommend Hong Kong. I prefer the Grand Hyatt, W and Sheraton to the Conrad because of location, but if that’s where your miles are, you won’t go wrong. Take some bus trips to other parts of HK island, take the slow ferry to Lantau, and the fast ferry to Macau.

Or Buenos Aires, and get out to other parts of the country.

luv2travel likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    and in Hong Kong. take the Star Ferry at different times of day. It's cheap, so there's no reason to do it just once. There are also special twilight excursions to see the light show, but they cost more (unless you stay at the Peninsula, which runs a Star Ferry charter cruise for hotel guests almost every night; others can purchase it with an expensive dinner and drinks package).

luv2travel likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    which is why I'd recommend Vietnam. Both Singapore & Hong Kong are 'easy' cities to explore as an old'er' person. There is only one Hilton property but you don't want to spend all your time in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city anyways while in Vietnam.

If Hilton had a property in Rio, hands down that would be my recommendation but they don't so Vietnam it is.

spesalvi and Toula like this.
  14. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't argue with the Vietnam recommendation either. Fun place, lots of stuff happening that would be well suited to someone in their 20s. Probably should dabble in Thailand at the same time. Agree with Willie that Singapore and HK is more suited to the older set.

Accommodation is so cheap in Vietnam that you don't have to worry about paying Hilton prices to be suitably accomodated. You are also more likely to meet fun peeps if you stay more downmarket. Trip Advisor has a ton of places for $50 or less.

Don't know how much time you have but if it is 3 weeks or so fly Cathay to Hong Kong, stay in the Conrad for a couple of days, fly onto Hanoi, side trip to Halong Bay, you could stay at the Hanoi Hilton. Fly from Hanoi to Danang, car to Hoi An (Ha An hotel looks good). Fly to Saigon, take a look at the Lavender for about $100 or if you want to pay less there are a ton of others in the area. I do recommend that you make sure you get a room with the window as that little bit of info is often missed. Make sure you to to the Hyatt Saigon for a meal and drink, fabulous location but your Hilton points won't help you there. Anywhere around the Ben Thay markets should be good for meeting lots of young, party hard folks.

spesalvi and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. citrine

citrine Active Member

Status Points:
    I too recommend Hong Kong and the Conrad Hong Kong is very nice hotel. A side trip to Macau would be good.

Conrad Singapore is also a very nice hotel. And it is very easy to do a day trip to Johor Bahru, Malaysia since it is so close yet a world away. And a trip to Bintan Island, Indonesia is less than 45 min by ferry, it has nice beaches. 3 postcards from 3 different countries.

16. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three of my favorite locations in the world are Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Buenos Aires. All have excellent Hilton or Conrad options. BA is great for someone your age, especially if you like to party all night. The Hilton Puerto Madero is top-notch. Hong Kong is a must-experience city and the Conrad Hong Kong is one of the best hotels in the world. Bangkok has tons of interesting sights with a choice of the Millennium Hilton on the river and the Conrad right in the heart of the city. Also, if you get tired of the city you can hop a quick one-hour flight to Phuket and stay at the Hilton Phuket resort. The beaches and nightlife are incredible, plus you can take day boat trips out to the Phi Phi islands for some of the best snorkeling in the world.

frekwentflier likes this.
  17. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be interested to hear from the OP to find out what he decided to do.

18. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I would also recommend Vietnam too, there are many ppl esp young adults that travel alone to Vietnam (let alone expats living there) and I believe I read most of Vietnam's population is under 25 so there should be many things to do and it very affordable if not very cheap to travel and eat around

19. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting thread. I will take a lot of these suggestions into consideration myself. I am a young-ish traveler who tends to wander alone often. I never know these places were to popular for single travelers.