Ideas are welcome

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Flying Scotsman, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. So, due to the SunTrust SkyPesos bonanza last fall I have roughly 300K SkyPesos left to burn. Would like to take the Missus on a nice vacation in Aug/Sept/Oct. The problem is, I do not know where and there are so many options.

I had previously in mind to do
    MSP (AMS 8hr layover to see the town) - CDG, 4 nights to see the sights
    CDG-BOD, 2 nights for wine tours
    BOD-FCO, 6 days with possibly 2 of those spent in Venice or Rome via the train.
    This would expend roughly 290K SkyPesos for flights only.

Anybody want to offer up some alternatives? Beaches, site seeing, rainforest, hiking, it is all fine.

2. how about round trip Asia/India business class for 120k return . I guess those are the best use of miles​

3. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take her to the Seychelles. Can be done for 120k with surprisingly lots of dates. I did it last summer and loved it. Starwood even just brought their Le Meridien Barbarons property down a category, so its even more reasonable (though everything else in Seychelles is pretty expensive). I wrote a blog post about how I planned my trip if interested. .

Frozentech likes this.
  4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    That time of year should be really nice in Italy lake country (airport: MXP). Paris is always great, as is Tuscany & the south of France (NCE).

I'm also very partial to Scandinavia - it should be really, really nice in Aug/Sept.

5. I will take a look at your blog. What is there to do in the Seychelles? Dining out expensive? I am trying to do it on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I have roughly 60K SPG to burn as well.

travelingmore likes this.
  6. The Points Guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Beaches are amazing. There are also other islands like Praslin and La Digue that are great day trips.

Eating out isn't cheap, but you can go to local restaurants all around the island and get the freshest seafood you'll ever have.

If you get fligh and hotel covered (which you could with your SPG), you could have a great time in a magical place.

7. I am trying to find flights on DL.com and having trouble finding anything under 145K and thats economy (120K in F is what I would like)! Any ideas on how to searcg by Air France flight on DL or how did you go about it. I read your blog, but it doesn't spell out exactly how you searched this way.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I was going to ask. For coach, 145K for each RT is very high. Low business should be 100K.

Part of the problem might be that DL allows a stopover and an open jaw on an award ticket; you have two stopovers less that 24 hours in AMS doesn't count as a stopover. You might want to try to see if taking the train to and from Bordeaux would lower the miles by a lot. The trip from Paris by TGV would be pretty good, but to then take the train to Italy would probably be a long trip and some Italian trains aren't so good, old equipment and late. Have you looked into low cost carrier choices for some of the intra-EU flights? However, watch out for the fees, including lots for a bag on Ryan in particular. (Easyjet seems to have a better reputation.) If you're comfortable driving in Europe, a better idea would be to rent a car and do a circle around France, including wine, return the car to Paris (airport), and then fly to Italy. The result would be one stopover (CDG, check if leaving through Orly is allowed) and destination FCO.

For my taste, I would avoid doing this in August. Paris restaurants will be closed and vacation leisure destinations will be very crowded and expensive, if you can get reservations. Even early September will be unpleasantly hot.

I think you're trying to do too much on one trip. Amsterdam deserves more than eight hours and you can even overnight there without it counting as a stopover. Decide what you most want to do. Paris and Italian big cities are very expensive unless you're willing to stay in some pretty bad hotels and eat in modest local restaurants all the time.

Yet another idea (to get the price in miles down and get into business class) is to look at flights into less popular European destinations such as Brussels and Copenhaven. BRU in particular is good for travel by train elsewhere, roughly two hours or less to Paris or Amsterdam.

9. The Points Guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't search by using delta.com- use expertflyer.com and whne you find O availability, plug in the dates in delta.coms multi-city award search and they should show up. Its a bit tedious but search for O class availability by the week. I just took a peek and it looks sparse, but since you are wide open, I imagibe something should be available. Also check out MRU (Maurtitius)