Idea to make the Chase Hyatt and Marriott Premier Annual Cert More Valuable

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Zomby Woof, Mar 18, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Practically each year more hotels go up in category for Hyatt and Marriott that go down. This makes the annual free night certs (cat 1 to 4 for Hyatt and 1 to 5 for Marriott) from the Chase co-branded cards less valuable and more difficult to justify the annual credit card fee.

If the free night certs could be used on higher categories by paying the difference in points, that would make the cert more valuable. For example, with the Hyatt free night cert, book a cat 6 hotel and pay an extra 10K points (25K for cat 6 minus 15K for cat 4).

Also, if the free night cert could be used on higher categories as part of a cash and points booking, that would make the cert more valuable. For example, with the Marriott free night cert, book a cat 8 and pay $145 (cat 5 is 25K points and cat 8 cash and points is 24.5K points + $145).

I think Hyatt is letting you turn the free night cert into points (10K) if you do it within 90 days after expiration. You have to call Hyatt to do this. Would be nice if this was done automagically.

I was thinking of sending this suggested enhancements to the certs to Chase and/or Hyatt and Marriott.

satman40, Thomask, B1BomberVB and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice, but they have probably figured this breakage into their cost model.

B1BomberVB and flyforawg like this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 I too suggested this on FT. Best Western had "Level Adjustment Vouchers" in the days when we were required to pre-order paper cert.s by postal mail. Same principle.
    Thanks for the info on expired Hyatt cert.s! I cancelled a ressie made with a Chase cert last year & the system ate my cert. So the rep gave me 15K points as compensation. Lucky accident for me ;) !

satman40 and Zomby Woof like this.
  4. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    [QUOTE="

I think Hyatt is letting you turn the free night cert into points (10K) if you do it within 90 days after expiration. You have to call Hyatt to do this. Would be nice if this was done automagically.

Is this a fact or just a hope? I had one expire the end of December 2015.... Any recent experience anyone?

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of them will give you an extension,, just ask..

6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can exchange sign up free nights for 10k/20k each if you qualified for plat/diamond. This doesn't work on the annual night certs - you can only get an extension.

7. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    they changed the rules at the first of this year and you can't get an extension anymore.
    Tried and failed.

8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Sorry to inform . . .