I'd love to say my string of Hyatt glitches had ended...

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by kansaskeith, Aug 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... unfortunately I can't

---

There are many complaints of system foulups within Hyatt, and thus I post this because others who've had them might sympathize. But I swear I have been snakebitten even compared to others.

Just in the last 24 hours I have had two system related errors at a Hyatt property, one at check-in and one close to check-out. And the second one really bothered me: a $98.33 overcharge (now corrected, after I howled) to to my bill, which the front desk blamed – almost these exact words -- on "we rolled over to a new system, and our dining room people are still getting used to it."

Stay after stay, month after month, glitch, glitch, glitch.

So I've made up my mind. I am so close to requalification for 'diamond' for another year that I am probably going to finish that. But then I will stay at Hyatts next year only to use up my DSU credits, hopefully at points-plus-cash rates, and a couple free stays to use up my points. In 2017 I will go ahead and use the Hilton Amex Surpass or Visa Reserve credit card to get to the dollar amount to qualify for 'diamond' with them into the following year, and then drop Hyatt altogether.

Overall, high-end Hyatt properties probably beat high-end Hiltons, but not to the extent that I'm going to tolerate the systems incompetence.

And I imagine Hyatt systems people renaming me Felicia, and anxiously awaiting me to say goodbye. The feeling is mutual, I assure you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    uggboy likes this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am at 70 nights for the year on ~30 stays and haven't had a single problem you've described. And i haven't experienced anything like that at any time in the 3 other years since I started this gig and got Diamond every year. The corporate folks and the individual properties treat me well, respectfully, and haven't made a single error I can think of. Best NA chain for my money.

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    All my glitches with Hyatt has been to my benefits, no parking fee charged, extra points appearing, etc.

The only problem that I have had on many occasions is the drainage of my balance on the gift cards or E Gift Cards I purchased from eBay, Card Cash, GiftCard Zen, etc.

William JLP likes this.
  4. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much my only issue is a good one: for three of my last four stays, my Diamond points amenity was not credited. A quick email for each resulted in a quick response and a retro bonus in each case.

The only other issue I've had is using Hyatt gift cards at Hyatt Places. Sometimes there is confusion on the other side of the desk - it often seems to be the first time the desk clerk has processed one - but eventually it gets sorted out. This is an improvement from a couple of years ago, where, at two different properties in two different cities, I got "Oh, there's one person who knows how to do these and he isn't here today." :rolleyes:

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll add to the list of people who rarely have Hyatt issues on-property. Their website has been prone to bugs, though less so now. But, once I'm on property, I really value the elite treatment I receive.

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, once on property, elite benefits are fine. Maybe a messup here or there, but no more than anywhere else.

Problems have been systems, online, etc., not hotel employees or room/food/amenity quality.

Anyway, as I said in the original post, I went ahead and requalified, so am a 'diamond' through February 2018. Too many hassles, too many times I had to call on the phone, so it's going to be my second hotel company now, not the first.

No plans to requalify again, though I do plan to use up my points and have a few selected paid stays to use up the DSU credits.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, and those, folks, are my strokes.