ID at Check In?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by YOURGLOCKMAN, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. YOURGLOCKMAN

YOURGLOCKMAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do they really check ID for those special rates? Here's my personal experience. I am currently on a 4 stay trip at Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, Doubletree, and Hilton. When I made the reservations, I selected the special rates, AARP, AAA, and I used the government rate. The first 2 stays were booked at the government rate, and neither hotel asked for ID. Tomorrow I am booked at the Doubletree, so we will see if it goes 3 for 3.
    I'm not advocating lying or cheating, but it seems a very minimal chance of an ID check. And, you can buy a AAA membership for $59, so you would have valid ID for the AAA rate.
    The last stay of this trip I fully expect them to ask for ID, since the rate I used dropped the price from $189 down to $57. In fact, if they don't ask for ID, I'm going to whip out my credentials and make them check.
    And thanks to all who replied about the Gold vs. Diamond. I'm thinking I will spend the points or money if for no other reason than to get lounge access at the London Olympia Hilton. On this current trip, my Gold has given me nothing. Of course, maybe the Diamond would not have either. Time will tell.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've more than once been asked for my AAA card at various chains that offer AAA rates.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I worked for the government, I was asked for identification about 85 percent of the time. (Often they photocopied it for potential audit investigation.) Sometimes, a government credit card would have been enough, but I didn't have one. I once extended a stay through a weekend (between two weeks of official goverment work to save hassle of travel and airfare. I had to revert to a non-government rate Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. This wasn't "usual".

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have need to provide government ID to support my gov't rate many times...while some may disagree, I am completely okay with properties enforcing the rules for rates.