Iceland Flight Options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, Jun 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the midst of travel today, but am exploring a late planned trip to Iceland. I'm a little low on miles overall except on AA, which seems pretty useless for getting to Iceland.

So far I took a peak at Wow and flights on Kayak. Also exploring how I could do a "layover" in Iceland for 9 days (I assume that's too long for some of the more flexible IcelandAir flights) on the way to Europe, even though I have no interest in going to Europe at this point.

Any tips on getting there are greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll pay cash!

daninstl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has flights from the US to Iceland. Otherwise Wow and Icelandair are your best options. Keep in mind that Wow is the ULCC model with VERY strict baggage fees, among other bits. By the time I added that in to my upcoming trip (especially not being based in BWI/BOS) it was cheaper to get the ticket on FI in their Economy Comfort (blocked middle, free meals) than it was to buy on Wow.

daninstl likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes same for me. Wow didn't even have a flight on the day O wanted to fly out, and even if I adjusted my schedule, Delta was cheaper.

daninstl likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you want to go to a land covered with ice :)
    Seriously it's on my bucket list. WOW is tempting but like other low cost carriers it's likely not a good deal with bag fees (lower bag weight limits without addl. fees), etc. etc. If your a light traveler you might come out OK. I wonder if adding a low cost flight from the UK might be the best way to go even though you do have to go through LHR most likely.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    At times Iceland Air's business and economy comfort can be priced competitively, coming with on plane food and drink and lounge access. They also regularly have package deals which can be valuable since every tour is worth $100-$200. Iceland Air's coach service charges for food (I don't know about drinks).

6. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I explored a few routes but all came out more expensive. Delta to Iceland through JFK was my best option. I only wish I booked on Saturday, as prices went up on Sunday.

daninstl likes this.
  7. agsoccer32

agsoccer32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to look at is the package deal of airfare, hotel and sometimes Blue Lagoon/Northern Lights from Iceland Air. I am usually skeptical of package deals but when I was in Reykjavik last year I compared the that package deal to what I booked with a paid flight and points booked hotel. The deal was actually pretty good and the next time I go back to Iceland I will definitely price out the Iceland Air package and compare it to what I can book myself.

iolaire likes this.