iCache Geode "digital wallet"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

An interesting gadget presented during CTIA.

I say interesting because it's definitely a useful gadget for travelers, but also just for conveninence. The basic idea is that it's a case for your iPhone (the advantage of a basically universal phone design, compared to say Android :( ), anyway the case comes with a fingerprint scanner (for security) and an E Ink display (for barcodes) and a removable, programmable card.

The case works in conjunction with an app that you use to scan your card information -- whether it's credit / debit or loyalty cards to the supermarket or whatever. You then leave your cards in your wallet, or your purse, or your man purse, or at home, or whatever.

When you get to the store, you fire up the app, authenticate via your fingerprint and choose a card to use from the ones that you've scanned in. The case then programs the removable card with that card's information, you remove the card from the case, tap it on a surface to activate it, then swipe.

When you're done you put the card back in the case and call it a day. The activation is only temporary and expires a short while so you don't have to worry if you lose it. And the fingerprint security means you shouldn't have to worry too much about losing the phone/case -- unless you lose your finger as well.

I think it's one of the most novel approaches to programmable credit cards I've seen in a while. I guess time will tell if this hits retail shelves eventually.