IC Kabul attacked today

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by MSPeconomist, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cable news is reporting a terrorist attack on the IC Hotel in Kabul. No details yet.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three suicide bombers succeeded in entering the hotel. One bomb exploded on the second floor. Snipers are firing from the rooftop. It seems to be an ongoing battle. There's also mention of the nearby (?) vice president's residence. It apparently started about an hour ago and the Taliban has claimed responsibility. Preliminary reports indicate that at least ten people were killed. Apparently some international VIPs are guests there today.

3. bmw9983
    Original Member

bmw9983 Active Member

Status Points:
    While still terrible news, is this not a hotel with the name Inter-continental, rather than a part of the IHG group?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. They said InterContinental consistently and described it as a luxury property catering to foreign guests, so I would assume from the news coverage that it's an IC which is part of IHG. Obviously I didn't research the property or try to book it.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim O'Brien and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope this isn't where rwoman from the DL forum is staying... she is due to fly out of Kabul tomorrow !

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I was thinking, but I can't recall that she revealed where she would be staying.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder whether her job for the military would have given her some sort of visiting officers guest housing on the base or if her civilian status would mean that she cannot stay on base.

Her last MP activity was about fourteen hours ago, when she posted on her profile page that she would be travelling home "tomorrow." This would have been about seven hours before news sources in the USA began reporting on the attack on the Kabul hotel, which was said to commence during their prime dinner hour at the hotel.

A while ago the news said that the hotel was on fire, but then they seemed to drop that part of the story, although I see it's still posted on websites that there was/is a blazing fire on the top floor.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently (according to NPR news reports) NATO/ISAF helicopters attacked gunmen on the roof of the hotel.

THe IHG folks probably aren't too excited to have the news talk about the Intercontinental.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG has even posted something on its website, a statement that looks like a press release, briefly saying that it's not their hotel and giving a small wish/condolences for the place, which after all was theirs originally when it was built and I guess for about the first decade of its life.

The property's website is a bit amusing, with a statement from the manager to come later and an announcement of a daily BBQ at the pool (even during the attack?) on the homepage. So far nothing about the attack or its aftermath has been posted by the hotel on their website.

11. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    So Ambassador benefits DO NOT apply at this property?

12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    room upgrade to a suite 10 ft below the ground encased in walls with 3 ft of concrete seems to be the best choice, here

13. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would accept a storage closet as an upgrade there, as long as it came with the concrete walls. And a fruit plate.