IC Jakarta (CGK) Midplaza - Mmmmm, mmmm, worms!

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Jaimito Cartero, Sep 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this IC in Jakarta many times over the last 4 years. I'd guess I have 30 nights here in the last 12 months.

I'm currently here on a Pointsbreak stay, which is a decent deal at 5k per night. I'm departing early though, as a few issues on my current stay have pushed me over the edge.

The biggest, which happened today, is that upon arriving at the lounge a few minutes before breakfast was supposed to close, and 1/2 the buffet has already been removed. I generally try to get to the lounge at least 10 minutes early, but of course my room key wasn't working for the club floor, so had to detour to the lobby.

We got what we could from the remaining buffet items, and ordered items off the cook to order menu. Eggs, ham sandwich and waffles were ordered. The eggs came in 15 minutes, the waffles took more than 30 minutes. And then to top it off, there is a worm on the plate! I'd guess it came from the strawberries that came with the waffles, but it is clearly unacceptable. Perhaps the extra 15 minutes was needed to round up the worm? ;)

The waiter was shown the plate, and didn't seem to be concerned about it, but ordered us another plate. This time only 20 minutes.

In general, I've enjoyed the IC here, but there are serious lapses such as these, that make me question my loyalty to the hotel. Almost every time I come here I seem to have to fight to get what I should be getting as a Royal Ambassador.

I'm on a PB reward stay, so I know I generally don't get mini-bar. No problem. However, other RA's who have been here on PB stays got the choice of a suite or club access. I'm fine with this. However, upon my first check-in for a few nights, they not only had the wrong name on the reservation (a family members that I booked a couple of "maybe" nights at the end of the month), but didn't seem to know about the suite/club rule at first.

That time, it took over 30 minutes at check-in to iron out.

This time when I checked in, they had the right name, and I told them that I wanted the club access instead of the suite. The clerk handed me my keys, so I thought I was okay. No welcome gift is offered, and I get so tired of having to ask every time, and am tired from my flight, so head off to the room.

The next morning when I try to go to the lounge, the keys don't work. I go down to the front desk, and the clerk tells me no club access on award stays. I calmly explain that I had the choice. Agent talks on phone. Comes back again, and says, no. I'm getting slightly frustrated at this point. I explain I was here the week previously, and that is what was explained to me. Agent goes into back room. Says, no again. I've had thousands of nights in hotels, and I've asked for the manager twice. I ask for the manager. The agent looks confused. She makes one more call, and then goes in the back room. She comes back and apologizes that she wasn't informed of this change.We barely make breakfast.

Everything is fine, until a couple of days ago. The Duty Manager calls, and says we need to move the next day for some maintenance issues. Says he is moving us to a kitchen suite the next day. I say, okay.

The next morning, the front desk calls (an hour before our wake up call), and again reminds us. As I did the night before, I told them we'd move after breakfast. In the lounge, the desk agent came over and told us our room was ready. We told her that we'd move at about noon.

Get back to the room, get yet another call saying the room is ready. Sigh. Tell them again it will be about noon. I call when our bags are ready and the bellman comes and we're off to the new room. It's just the standard Jr Suite I've gotten on many occasions. No kitchen. I don't mention anything.

The room is hot. I've got it cranked, and wait a few hours. Not much better. Call it in to the front desk. They send someone out, and they say it's pumping out cool air. That might be true, but it's not pumping it out in quantity. Being that I'm in a double sized room, on the corner, I think the AC is the same as in a standard room, and isn't meant to handle the semi-heatwave that is happening in Jakarta now. It's about 93-94 during the day. I like my rooms at 72-73 degrees, and it take until after midnight before it's 77 or so.

I had actually been impressed with the better than average Club Lounge offerings on this trip. They had improved the quality and variety of items, and no longer ran out of food 30 or 45 minutes before the happy hour ended View attachment 16214 IC-Jakarta-club-waffles-w-worm-text.jpg . Some excellent Tika Chicken, grilled salmon and a few other items.

I did find only one good waiter in the club, however. A younger new waitress and a few of the other folk were quite spotty in service and delivering the correct items. I think the waitress has a much more limited command of English, as 75% of the time, her orders were wrong, or she had to come back and ask for the order again.

If we ordered more than 2 drinks, they often forgot to bring one of the items, or didn't do it right. So if I ask for a cold water with ice and lime, I might just get a normal water, no ice, no lime. Or if we ordered 2 papaya juices, and one water, we'd only get the juices. Very frustrating, as it happened almost every day.

I think this IC needs to get it's act together if it seriously wants to be considered even a 4 star property. Combine this with the problems on paid stays (elimination of almost all alcohol in its minibar now), and having to ask for everything that you're entitled to as an RA, it just gets tiring.

hotelsallover, theskyflyer and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like we should avoid this IC! A creepy experience, time and money // points could be better invested without the frustration. Thanks for your review, interesting reading and thought provoking!:confused:

theskyflyer likes this.
  3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here twice and don't think I'll return again unless there is another PB rate in the future. For me, that's about the only rate I'd pay for it.

uggboy likes this.
  4. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a less than fantastic club stay here recently as well.

It was a PB stay so the club access was a paid upgrade. It all went fine until checkout when they tried to charge us the amount that the hotel bills PC for reward stays. I've had this happen before, so I said that this what the extra entry on the bill was. The staff in the lounge refused to believe this, and it took 20 minutes of back and forth before the charge was finally removed.

I agree that the staff in the lounge seem pretty scattered in general.

To give the hotel their due, they did email and offer a complimentary upgrade to club when I detailed the experience on the feedback form.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same thing at many IHG properties when using points. On full points redemptions, I've often wondered if I could pay it and get my points back. I've seen rates generally in the $20-$50 per night range.

This property seems generally tightfisted when giving out upgrades, and perks related to the Amb and RA programs. I'd guess I've stayed here 80 nights in the last 4 years, and I think the best upgrade I've ever gotten was a Jr Suite. I've been shorted the fruit/water a few times, half the time they don't offer the RA/Amb gift. Almost every time I'm at this location, I have to fight to get something fixed on the bill, or a benefit that I'm due.

This time, they charged me for 4 days of internet, when the room type I booked included internet (PB stay). They gave me incorrect info on my first PB stay last month, telling me no free internet, and then when I asked again in the lounge, they said I should get it free with my room type.

For the last month or so, at least, the rule seems to be that an RA on a points stay here, should get the option of a free club upgrade, or suite upgrade.

Also on paid stays, you should get a suite upgrade, and club access. I was also told back at the end of November 2010, that I was entitled to one extra person above my booked reservation in the lounge or breakfast (if rate included it).

As I usually do on award nights, I booked the maximum amount of people allowed in the room, so if I had extra club guests for happy hour or breakfast I would be covered. One night they started to hand me a bill when I was leaving, and had to bring this to their attention.

uggboy likes this.