IC Berlin

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by no-backpacker, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:

I stayed at IC Berlin for 4 nights with my son and his friend, both 16. I had booked a 2-room junior suite and got a 2-room senior suite with lounge-access. The living-room is the biggest with an extra bed which can be taken out from the wall (don't know how to explain this in English, sorry...:)). The bed is actually very comfortable. Just be aware of the evel bed-poles. For a strange reason they are sticking out and you can be sure to kick your feet into them EVERY time you walk past them. Happened last time we stayed here too. The only thing that can save your feet is to wear shoes or slippers. Well, over to the room... The living-room also has a flat-screen TV, a coffe-maker (not Nespresso, but a similar one) and full bathroom with Elemis toiletries (not conditioner, grrrrr).

The bed-room is a little bit smaller but has a desk and a small "old" TV. Full bathroom here too.

Both rooms had a mini-bar, which is free for RA's. When I asked if also snacks would be free the frontdesk agent said: "Everything in the mini-bar is free!" I just hope it is, because the boys robbed the mini-bar from the souvenirs too...

The lounge is very nice with food all day and happy hour from 17.30 (or 18?) until they close at 22.30. I don't think they serve hot food for happy hour. They did only one day, but that was because there were an event downstairs.

My son had his 16th. birthday when we stayed and he got a piece of cake to the room!

You have to pay for wired internet in the room (24 Euro, I think), but it's free in the lounge.

The pool-area is VERY nice and their jacuzzi is the most powerfull I have ever been to! Although I might should, I didn't try the fitness-room, but it looked quite small.

Bus 200 goes right outside the hotel and takes you to the city-center in 10 minutes. There are lots of shops close to the hotel too, but not that many places to eat at the evening.

At the IC Berlin web-site it is said the hotel will leave the IC-brand in April. However I spoke to a woman in the lounge and she told me they are not sure yet! Fingers crossed they will stay because I really like the hotel and they treat RA's very good.

Xxx.

foxberg and Andyandy like this.
  2. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be staying at the Berlin IC later this month. From old reviews on FT, I recall there being a difference between the West and East wings of the building. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is currently more desireable?

Andyandy

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the Berlin IC a few weeks ago and it was a nice stay BUT the previous guest (housekeeping?) had left the alarm clock set for ~6AM and it kind of scared the crap out of. We had no idea what was going on or what the noise was. Getting back to the room at ~5:30AM after spending a loooooooong night out having beverages probably added to our confusion [​IMG]

4. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both my stays has been at the west-wing (I think....) so I can't tell you about the other wing.

Enjoy your stay, it looks like the hotel will be out of the IC-brand first of April... [​IMG]

Xxx.

5. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The two wings used to be seperate hotels, joined by a common lobby.
    The rooms in the West wing are smaller, as they used to be the cheaper 'Forum' hotel. The East wing is the Intercontinental.
    Honestly I like the East wing as it has the lounge in, but the West Wing suites, right at the end of the corridor on the end of the building are super also.
    Of course, as noted, this will not be IC for much longer - shame!

Andyandy likes this.
  6. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, when you said that the east-wing has the lounge I can then confirm that we stayed at the east-wing both times.[​IMG]

Xxx.

MarkUK likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll miss this high end property, and staying in this part of the city. Guess it will be over to the East and either the Westin on Frederikstrasse or the Hyatt in Potzdamer Platz...

8. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pleased that I only booked one night on the 31st (staying at the Westin before and HIX after)

Jeff

9. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Writing this review from the Ipad in the Ic Berlin Club!

First stay was one night booked on US State employee rate. Breakfast was incuded in the LA Cafe. Very nice with a great selection.

Good: upgrade to junior suite was nice but not spectacular. As i'm travelling with my father, i slept on the foldout couch in the LR. backoacker is right about the knee banging qualities of the foldout, but it was otherwise quite comfortable for a foldout.

Bad: was told at reception (at around 19:00) that club was not offered to RAs. This conflicted with many reports, but after a tatl trip i didn't feel like fighting so I gave up. Minibar is just OK, with limited liquor and no bubbles. On checkout was told by an incredulous clerk that of course Club access is always offered to RAs. I guess i got the second string clerk the night before.

Checked out the next am for trip to Husum and returned today.
    Good: club access given witout any issue at all for 2 night bogo stay. I requested room with two beds east wing and got regular room on 5th floor. I really dont miss the extra space. Club is nice, decent spread at dinner.
    Bad: nothing yet. I'll update later.

Checked out for a trip to Warsaw and returned on the 28th. This time it was a "Sweet Dillemma" stay in my wife's name (also RA). Was upgraded to junior suite, but again asked for two beds in East wing. Club access was given without asking.

In conclusion, I'd say that this property will definitely be missed from the IC chain. It treated RAs well and was a nice property in general. The club was quite good and the staff up there was flawless in my experience. The only slight negative I experience was that the minibar was not particulary stellar. The IC Warsaw was much better in that department.

Verdict: too bad this won't be an IC as of tomorrow!

sobore likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- the signs are already being taken down. A shame to have Berlin without an IC.

11. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last night, the 28th, the little box with cotton swabs, sewing kit, etc, had the IC logo covered over by a little black sticker. The purge is on!

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is really going the distance. Wow.

13. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the letter under the door reads

We would like to inform you that as of 01st of April the hotel will o longer operate under the intercontinental Berlin brand

Thank you for your choce and trust that you have placed with our hotel

We wish you an enjoyable rest of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to one of our intercontinental hotels & resorts worldwide in the near future

14. harald12

harald12 Active Member

Status Points:
    it was like home to me. I am pretty sad that this great hotel is not longer an IC. I probably will give up my Royal Ambassador Status....and look for something else.....maybe Hyatt (or Mariott)

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    So has this hotel reopened as an IC, or is the current IC Berlin a different hotel?

16. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It is, once more, the Intercontinental

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how is it? Do PC Plats get anything? Upgrade, 4 PM late checkout, free breakfast? Do they charge for pool access?

18. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a RA and they charge you for the internet? Oh, boy.

19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called the hotel. PC Plats get whatever the hotel considers an upgrade, 2 PM late checkout, no free breakfast. Everyone has free pool and gym access.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. That was in 2011. All IC's now give free internet to ambassadors and RA's.

foxberg likes this.