IC Barclay, NYC

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by foxberg, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a short review of my one night weekend stay at that hotel. I had one free night about to expire and decided to burn it on that property since I had never stayed there. I had been to that hotel numerous times for various meetings, but that was my first experience with the rooms. We got an upgrade on that free night stay, although I'm not sure what was so special about that "upgraded" room. To me it looked like a standard king bed room, on the 9th floor (the hotel has 13 floors). The lobby of the hotel is quite beautiful, I think this is one of the historic NYC hotels. But just like in my previous experience with another historic hotel, IC Mark Hopkins in SF, I found the room to be quite run down. From peeling wallpaper, to worn out chairs, cracked wooden frame on the mirror, cabinets scratched over drawer nobs, etc. There also seemed to be little attention paid to the condition of the room - one of the bed side lamps didn't work and the table lamp had a burnt out bulb in it. Shouldn't some one had checked that prior to our arrival? The room had a minibar, 30" flat screen Samsung TV (smart TV that wasn't connected to the internet to actually make it "smart". A bizarre decision for whoever was making that purchase for the hotel - why not just put a regular flat screen instead then and save some money?), Kuerig coffee maker. But there were no porcelain cups, just paper cups. I had to ask for normal mugs to be delivered to the room. This is the first IC I stayed in that didn't have mugs already in the room. I was going to mention some of that upon checkout, but an Ambassador receptionist never bothered to ask us how our stay was...
    So, I think that for the money that hotel wants per night (roughly $239 plus tax) there are many other better options to stay in the City.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jonspencer, uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. +1
    It's been a couple years since I stayed at the Barclay, but As I can see from your pictures it hasn't change.
    I did think I heard they were spending millions updating the hotel??? I guess it hasn't started yet!

foxberg likes this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too stayed there a couple years back and was far from impressed with the rooms

my stay was during a UN session so you got shook down by security coming in and out of the hotel because of all the diplomats staying there :eek:

from the pictures above it is obvious they have made no improvements in the past couple years, depressing looking

foxberg likes this.