IBM and Apple partnership produces airline customer service app for iOS

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by bigx0, Mar 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's one from yesterday:
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/02/ap...-latest-set-of-apps-at-mobile-world-congress/

A former colleague working on these apps told me (I presume non-confidentially, since he asked no silence on my part) that there had been several signups for several airline-specific apps, including ones dealing with crew and maintenance scheduling as well as gate agent servicing. We already know that iPads are being or already have been deployed for crew time recording, pilot charts and checklists, and myriad other functions, all non-IBM developed apps. In other discussions I suspect that UA is one of the early adopters, but several non-US carriers may actually be ahead of them.

Based only on the number of people being reallocated to work on these apps I am positive that IBM thinks they're a Big Thing. I am equally positive that nearly all the apps require integration with legacy systems and enhanced security, for access control to change control. Those take time.

My personal bet is that all these will be very big developments for all concerned but will take, say, two years to really become obvious to the broader community. Those legacy systems are not quick things to modify, nor are regulatory certifications.

NOTE: I do NOT have any inside knowledge, nor am I implying I do. My opinion is based upon knowing the environments and subject matter fairly well, having done development work on both sides of the equation.

uggboy, NYBanker and bigx0 like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...this is not just putting another skin on a random website. Lots of work required for integration with the legacy systems.

5. oliviathomas

oliviathomas Member

Status Points:
    thanks for links bigX0