Iberia Seeks Survival In Low-Cost Launch

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by Rejuvenated, Mar 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like March 28th is the date to see the routes, prices etc.

3. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am excited about the launch of the new Iberia express service from Iberia - I have often tried to use Iberia for service within Spain but their fares are often very high for intra europe or Spain domestic flights, so it has been easier to use RENFE trenes de alta velocidad on my trips. When looking at booking seats on IB express it lists some as express fares and others as standard fares - my question is are all fares offered on iberiaexpress.com operated on IB express aircraft or are some of them (like the standard non express fares) on normal IB service. Thanks in advance for your help!

4. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    WIllie Walsh, previously CEO of BA, now CEO of IAG which owns Iberia and BA has said many times that Iberia was about 10 years behind BA in properly responding to the transformation of the air market introduced by the low cost point-to-point airlines.

In my experience, there are some routes where IB compete (and offer very cheap fares), others where no matter what they refuse to compete and only offer expensive ones. And personally I don think which routes they adopt which policy has much to do with logic. Almost someone has tossed a coin.

They also still continue to insist upon loopy fares for one-way flights. Totally out of step with the modern traveller.

The fares you are seeing are all Iberia Express fares, the differences between them are explained here:
    http://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/fares/

Keep in mind, that flights booked under the I2 flight code used by Iberia Express can not be credited to other frequent flyer programmes. They need to be booked under the IB flight code to credit to some other frequent flyer programmes in oneworld, etc.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  5. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, David for the clarification - It is much appreciated.