Iberia destroyed my bag

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by MX, Oct 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently took an Iberia flight MAD-MIA, and my checked-in suitcase did not arrive with me. Iberia found it still in MAD the next day, and eventually delivered it to my home. Unfortunately, it was not in the same condition it was checked in. The hard shell was cracked, and the zipper pulls were snipped off (where they insert into a lock). If it makes any difference, it was a TSA-compliant lock.

The contents of the bag were thoroughly rifled -- probably thoroughly enough to indicate some malice. Nothing seemed to be missing though. There was no notice included in the bag to indicate if it was an official "inspection". With a cracked shell and no lock, the suitcase is useless at this point.

Any opinions or advice if I should take any action with Iberia about it?

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I hate the TSA and inspections. You should probably file a complaint.

Also it is possible it was gone through to establish the identity. or to make sure that it hadn't been ransacked. If you have the receipt for the TSA Lock, the manufacturer will replace it.

And the zipper pulls are one of the first things to go when a bag gets caught in equipment. That would explain most of the Damage.

Of Course, TSA will deny everything, so file a claim with Iberia. They would also have a record of the search for the missing bag.

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if my post was not clear, but TSA could not have been involved. It happened in Madrid, the bag was ransacked, zipper pulls were neatly snipped off (not caught in equipment). I'm sure Iberia is responsible, since the damage happened while the bag was in their custody. Any idea how to file a claim with them?

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you should contact Iberia, and hopefully you have some proof that's how your bag arrived from the delivery service. You should contact them immediately.

-David

Mapsmith and MX like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had a very interesting conversation with the Iberia's US Office. They claimed that the airport did not report any damage to them, so therefore there was none. I offered to provide them proof to the contrary. They asked to send it to their Customer Relations in Madrid. It didn't sound like they were planning to take it seriously, but I'll submit a claim anyways.

Mapsmith and LIH Prem like this.
  6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow .. what about the delivery service, did they document the condition of the bag? Did they understand that the bag was delivered damaged by a third party delivery service acting on their behalf?

good luck with your claim, it sounds like they are pawning you off to customer relations, and that's not how you would expect to file a damaged bag claim with an airline.

-David

Mapsmith and MX like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I believe that TSA inspects all baggage on flights bound for the US. Thus IB would have had to send the bags to a TSA inspection before loading. It is possible (actually probable) that the inspectors at MAD would have clipped the zipper pulls rather than the lock. Then they would have rifled the bag to see if there were any prohibited items.

But keep the pressure on IB to replace the bag or repair it.
    You have opened a file, they will have to do something to properly close it.

MX likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I agree that there's a very slim chance of getting any action or even a response from the CR office in Spain. If there's a more effective complaint route, I would definitely want to hear that.
    Unfortunately, I was not home when the bag was delivered - so had no interaction with the delivery service.

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm definitely motivated to invest some effort into a complaint. Just wanted to address it where it would not be completely futile.

Mapsmith likes this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, there's the rub. No one will probably take responsibility. but Try Anyway.

MX likes this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get no satisfaction, maybe your Homeowners Insurance will cover it. (although most have a substantial Deductible)
    and depending on the manufacture of said luggage, maybe they have a guarantee?

12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith, i just discovered that you were absolutely right! After reading an account of TSA disabling a lock, I decided to check the lock on my bag in question. My lock was also left disabled in the unlocked position!!! Only TSA could've done that. Snipping off the zipper pulls on top of that was pure malice.

So I guess I should now abandon my complaint against Iberia (I've been procrastinating with it). It's probably futile to complain to TSA as well, even if they had a department to handle it. Thoughts?