IAM Wins Right to Represent United Passenger Service & Reservation Staff

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by J.Edward, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

If you, a current customer of UA, were an GA or airport staff, would you vote for representation?

1. Yes, I would vote to be represetened by a union.

33.3%
  2. No, I would not vote to be represented by a union.

66.7%
  1. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per a press release on the IAM Site:

Washington, D.C., March 7, 2012 – In an election conducted by the National Mediation Board (NMB), the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) today won exclusive representation rights for nearly 17,000 Passenger Service and Reservation Employees at the new United Airlines.

Also of note is the reports of UA playing "hardball" in trying to de-certify the IAM from the frontline workers at the expense of management alienating the very people they're trying to earn the respect of through dealing directly with them and eroding good will. While I am obviously not an employee, nor do I have any family or relations who are, if true, this is certainly sad to hear and a far cry from Mr. Bethune's idea of working together, which the company considers to this day to be one of the cornerstones of their model for success.

2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There IS a need to woorry...:(

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is excellent news. After all the two-faced talk to both customers and employees since the merger, it's good to see a culture of healthy distrust prevail.

Sadly, the company still doesn't get it. The UA spokesperson is quoted in the news: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-win-for-iam/2012/03/07/gIQABp3cxR_story.html

Really? Is this the same "working together" that involved trying to disqualify 1,000 currently represented UA employees from even being allowed to vote? The same "working together" that let the UA RJs fly out of the CO hubs? The same "working together" that threw the gate agents to the wolves by giving them a more difficult-to-use computer system?

They need to wake up and smell the FreshBrew and realize that their actions speak louder than this two-faced CO talk. What worked for Gordon is not going to work for Jeff.

Renard, Flyer1976 and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  4. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    HeathrowGuy - at the risk of sounding naive can you expand on why you feel there is a need to worry?

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under IAM representation, United's public contact employees have been outsourced to a greater degree than that of any other major US airline. The problem isn't in the pay scales, mind you, but in the work rules, which basically economically compel United to not use its own staff for reservations and passenger contact airport functions to the maximum extent possible. This is why old UA had Express agents working at its OWN HUBS, and why India and Manila figure so prominently whenever most customers called the airline.

True, the sCO workforce is a bit more junior overall, so that will help somewhat. But if IAM tries to keep its current work rules for the combined group, then expect to deal with many more indifferent UA Express airport agents and clueless offshore call center reps going forward.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quoted for truth and since this thread is a poll and I have experience with several unions I would not vote for the I Am Management union where the membership interests are not better served nor for the company's better interests as well. At the old United you have SkyWest & Air Wisconsin employees doing outsourced work at the hubs for both above and below the wing. Now there are provisions in place where outsourced employees such as SkyWest & Air Wisconsin work Express flights only at the hubs however in the outstations there is a minimum flight criterion that determines whether a station gets mainline or express staffing based on the percentage of mainline activity in that station.

7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean the ridiculousness of not being able to touch PMCO or PMUA reservations (depending on which union you belonged to) is over?

I understand the the desire for the front line personnel to want representation, however from the customers standpoint, its kind of awful, not being to handle all reservations.

8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing changes in terms of customer handling in the immediate future.