IAH Spring Break United meltdown

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MileCards, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/03/travelers-report-crowds-delays-at-united-terminal/

Last weekend was a disaster at IAH. More telling than the article are the comments in the comments portion of the thread. Looks like disappearing advance seat assigments due to the integration + typically oversold Spring Break flight led to an absolute disaster. Also didn't help that there were lot of first time passport users on UA/CO that had to use the kiosk instead of online checkin. You can sense the blood boiling just reading through these. Even showing up 3 hours early was a problem.

A lot of goodwill lost in a couple of day with the hometown crowd.

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:uch. I've been stuck at IAH during irrops. Those pictures make it look like the place is not so crowded, but then you realize the people in them are all still waiting to check in!

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. This is a requirement unique to CO. DL, US, AA, etc., all let you OLCI and type in your passport information to generate a BP.

Also don't forget that the legacy CO hubs are probably short-staffed, since so many co-workers are at the legacy UA hubs assisting with the transition to SHARES.

karenkay likes this.
  4. prpvll

prpvll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there at iah (flying United) on Sunday for a business trip and got the worst of everything. My ticket was re-booked 3 times. Finally, I caught a United flight that had open sitting without a 'true' ticket. I used a ticket that was from a cancelled flight and got in. :)

5. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown through IAH at Spring Break before and I'm sure the issues with tickets didn't help, but it is always terrible that first weekend. We had a 7am flight on Friday a couple of years ago and showed up at 5:30am and due to the lines we still missed our flight. It actually didn't look much different than the pictures.

The ticket/boarding pass/etc. issues should have been thought about by UA. They know that weekend is crazy.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Spring Break at IAH has been a problem for years now, and the combination of that, plus the systems integration at UA, plus the fact that TSA at IAH has slowed to the speed of a 90 year old grandma in a Crown Vic driving home from church, just made it worse.

I'd be willing to be that a search of the Chronicle website would reveal they've run this same story about the same time for several years now, just minus the computer system angle.

DCA1K likes this.
  7. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also got to enjoy the cluster-fudgesicle at IAH this past Friday/Saturday.
    It was, for lack of a better term, a perfect storm....
    Spring break with all the rookies and families traveling will usually cause some drama.
    Add to that, having the POTUS in town will toss a monkey wrench at any airport.
    Add to that, the "integration" of computer systems and the phone support blowing up....
    Add to that a big storm blowing through most of the afternoon/evening
    Well, if you add all that up it equals cluster-fudgesicle.:rolleyes:
    My flight to ORF waited until 11:00pm to cancel out. I managed to convince a desk agent at the E club to print me a standby ticket on an oversold flight in the morning & found a hotel. (and surprisingly a beer)
    8:00am Saturday found the line wrapping around the outside of terminal E. :eek: Thanks to the agent at the club, I just had to clear security, I found the last seat to DCA, and drove down to see my customer.
    To straighten out the rest of my travel plans, I figure that I spent about 8 hours over the weekend on hold waiting to speak to a human. Finally got hold of one at 11:00pm Sunday and he had everything fixed in under five minutes. He blamed a lot of the backup on long time United customers not understanding the new website coupled with spring break.

Xyzzy likes this.
  8. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too was there on the weekend. I jumped over to Terminal B and presto... straight through as there was no line.

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guessing traffic to MAF and AMA was light that day. ;)

ssullivan likes this.
  10. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there on two separate days and it was the worst I have ever seen it. I know UA is going to blame most of it on weather, but the amount of rain/wind that we had doesn't come close to telling the full story.

Almost all flights were delayed, and planes were stacked outside of gates waiting their turn.

11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA had what three lightning strikes, planes were diverted to SAT and AUS to wait out the cells.

12. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest frustration was trying to get answers for anything. At 11:00pm Friday night, the line for the support desk at B87 stretched all the way to the end of the concourse. From the speed of the line, I figured that would be an all-nighter.:rolleyes:
    After getting up to the E concourse club, I got to listen to the following:
    Agent; "We can get you to MSY Wednesday evening...."
    Customer; "We can walk there faster than that....":rolleyes: