IAD-KWI Experiences?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MrAbeFroman, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I just booked a business trip over to the Middle East and will be taking United's newish service IAD-KWI. What is service like on this flight?

I'll most likely be stuck in E+ as I'd rather not burn miles on the upgrade and my company is too cheap to pay for C. In the past on this trip, I've always been on Lufthansa through Frankfurt and found the service in economy to be pretty decent; obviously cramped but ultimately not worth burning miles to upgrade. If the service is as good, with the addition of E+, this will seal the deal on not upgrading. If it is prison matron type service, I may well burn my miles. Oh to be a 1K...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    -Abe

2. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Abe I would tra and upgrade on a long trip like this, and I would also suggest that your company not be cheap to you on such a long flight. I have done a smilar flight to this: IAD-DXB. However, I have made the trip in C, albeit on the old 777. I flew the new 777 in C to Europe, and I do NOT like the fact that the middle section of the plane has 4 seats, so the new C 777 config is 2-4-2. UA's best retrofited plane IMHO is the 767 with C 2-2-2 and Y 2-3-2.

If you do end up in Y to KWI, try and get row 20 AB or 20JK, as it is the only row where you have 2 seats(window & aisle). Here is the full seat map. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_2_New.php

3. Thoughts? If you wouldn't use miles to upgrade a flight this long, what would you use them for?

4. If you've flown UA in International Economy before, you know it's a prison matron type service. If there is a place here to trade miles and upgrade certificates, I would definitely look in your desk drawer to see if you have anything worth trading for an SWU, or just put your own miles to good use.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    IAD-KWI is a longer flight than ORD-NRT. If there's a good flight to use miles to upgrade on this would have to be a contender. And you'll probably have a better shot than on, say, LAX/SFO-SYD or SFO/ORD-HKG.

Now, if the argument is that you don't want to come out of pocket for the upgrade co-pay that's another story.

But as far as being a reasonable use of miles, this certainly has to be one.

Though I'd also counsel that the seat is more important than the service anyway.

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did your company buy you a Y or B class ticket? Then you would have no copay and the miles required to upgrade would be 30,000 roundtrip(15,000 each way).

7. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with others. I've done this route and was definitely worth the upgrade miles.

Globaliser likes this.
  8. Another vote to burn the miles. Its absolutely worth it for a trip of this length. The aircraft is an old 777, so you stand a good chance of clearing.

9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...And no matter h:)w much the old business seats suck, they are so much better than those in whY.