IAD Club / lounge access when flying WN

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by bluedot, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    As one of the suckers who took the bait on the two chase cards and transferred UR to Marriott to RR to get the remaining 10k points, I obtained the companion pass despite having never flown WN. With all the RR points and companion pass, the wife and I have been flying Southwest more and more.

For lounge access, I have the Amex Platinum (and Priority Pass), Ink Bold (with the 2 Lounge Club passes) and the US Airways Club card.

With a late afternoon flight, am I correct in that our only option is to go to one of the United clubs in C or D or has anyone been successful using the USAirways Club card to get into Lufthansa without a *A ticket, or Amex Plat to get into the BA Lounge without a AA ticket(after the Priority pass option closes at 2pm)?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think AmEx Plat gets you into BA as it's not an AA lounge, which would require an AA ticket (not codeshare) anyway.

Your best bet is a PP lounge as that access doesn't depend on which carrier you are flying.

US lounge membership gets you into UA lounges, but do you need to be flying *A for use of your lounge membership in this case?

For the record, AmEx Plat gets you into DL when flying DL, AA when flying AA, or US regardless of carrier. Codeshares do not work for the DL and AA lounges.

If you have the full PP card, it's still good in most UA lounges, but the ones given out by banks do not work for UA since about two years ago.

3. bluedot

bluedot Active Member

Status Points:
    According to the Amex lounge search, BA works but only when flying AA.

the UA lounge works with the US membership, even without a ticket, but I'd have to go to another concourse to use the lounge.

The PP card from Amex works in the BA lounge, but only before 2pm. With a late afternoon flight, that option is out.

4. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    Define "late afternoon flight"? If you got there at say 13:30, do you think the lounge agents are going to come hunting for you at 14:00 to kick you out of the lounge?