I want to treat myself

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jun 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey!

So I have a nice amount of points in different cards and wanted to treat myself to something untravel related. Where/What is the best place to do that with the points below...obviously not all of them but a little somethin somethin...thanks :)

120k UR
    125k United
    80k US air
    160k AA
    100k Avios
    50k Marriott

2. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    KEEP THEM FOR TRAVEL!

Max M, Mikus33, MX and 2 others like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those amounts sound remarkably like credit card signup bonuses! ;)

Seriously, save them for travel. Any non-travel redemption is nearly always going to be a terrible valuation on your points. Treat yourself to a weekend in Germany flying LH F. FRA FCT...you'll have a nice time.

Bring a mate?

Max M, Mikus33, JohnDeere19 and 4 others like this.
  4. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, UR can be redeemed for merchandise though you'll be lucky to get a penny per point in value - in any case nowhere close to travel.

Just curious why you got all those travel reward cards if you wanted non-travel redemptions? My advice is to save them for travel!

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is an idea, although it is related to travel. Stay home and bring someone to visit you. Maybe a family member, young or old. Or have some old friends come for a reunion of sorts.

thetravelanalyst and iolaire like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with using them for airline rewards.

With that said, you could use some or all of the 160K AA miles to book a land/air inclusive vacation through AA Vacations.

However your value/ROI for redeeming the miles on an AA Vacation package is pretty awful; there are no set redemption rates--- it all varies on the price of your AA Vacations package.

The idea of earning all of those miles and then NOT redeeming them for an air award is kind of like winning a brand new car, taking delivery of the car, then selling the car for physical cash at well below sticker/Blue Book value.

Again, count me in the camp of redeeming the miles somehow for air travel.

7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should make your thread titles more specific - they are all much too vague. This one should be named something like: "I want to treat myself - suggest non-airline mileage redemptions" so people know what they're getting into.

lin821 and Mikus33 like this.
  8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go on the various airlines websites and look under the redeem section and see what, if anything turns your crank. Don't worry about what others think is "good value" they are your miles use them for what makes YOU happy.

(I know this wont be a popular opinion, but not all of obsess over getting a certain cpm when cashing in miles.)

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could start donating miles, many programs have partners such as Make a Wish or the Red Cross.

lin821 likes this.
  10. ukinny

ukinny Silver Member

Status Points:
    you could travel to somewhere far-flung, buy some artwork and such made by local artisans. This would provide you with unique decor at home, stories to tell at work, and support small enterprise abroad...

Mikus33 likes this.
  11. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Himalayan massage mud moistened with the sweat of Trappist Monks.

(Or, what Photonerd said. Whatever makes you happy.)

12. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Michael 21 -

While I agree you will probably not receive ideal monetary value for miles redeemed (1 mile will equal less than $0.01 in most, if not all, cases), only you know (a) how you value your miles, (b) what you expect your travel horizon to be, and (c) whether and how many miles you'll earn in the future.

Without knowing much about what you like (e.g., do you like magazine subscriptions? merchandise?), points.com seems like a good start to see what your options are. There you'll receive a menu of choices such as redeeming your points with merchants or exchanging miles.

With anything, I'd advise that you read the fine print on everything to confirm that you're happy with your purchase. Here's a pretty good review on the website. http://creditcardforum.com/blog/points-com-review-is-it-a-scam-or-good-deal/

Have fun!

13. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great advice...THnks guys!