I thought the weekend ended Monday at 2359

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Frequent Freak, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a four-day rental coming up out of PVD. Pickup is late Saturday night (arrival is right before midnight), returning Wednesday night.

I assumed I would going to be charged for two weekend days and two weekdays -- my understanding is the "weekend" for Hertz purposes lasts from 1200 Thursday to 2359 Monday, and any part of a "day" outside this range gets charged a weekday rate. But it came back with three weekend days and one weekday.

Is this a recent US-wide change? Could it be specific to late Saturday pickups? Sometimes Tuesdays are counted as weekend days if the Monday is a holiday, but that's not the case here. Not complaining, mind you. The weekday rate is more than double the weekend rate (as usual) and I was getting all set to price out other agencies/try Priceline/etc.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The definition of weekend for Hertz rates seems to be station-specific. It might also depend on the season or even how much demand for cars there is on your dates. Keep your confirmation and check that the charges post to your credit card correctly.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excerpt from T&Cs of one Hertz offer:
    "This offer applies to minimum one day weekend rental (weekend defined as pick-up noon Thursday through Noon Sunday)"​

If it were really that simple, you'd have a weekend rate through Wednesday. There have been other reports of weekend rates lasting through Tuesday.

4. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had some weird experiences at PVD with rates over the years. My last rental I was able to get a weekend day for Monday if I dropped it off at 10am, but if I dropped it off at 10:30, then its a weekday. If you have not been to PVD in a while, the rental cars have all moved to the central car rental facility at the new train station/rental car garage. You will have to make a little walk across the newly built skybridge which is about a half mile long. I like the old way with Hertz right outside the baggage claim door.

5. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on location with Hertz assume nothing.