I think this is an honest to goodness addiction...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by boondr, Dec 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I am not sure how to feel about it.

I applied for my latest round of cards on Thurs* and experienced an immediate sense of euphoria, I was positively giddy for the rest of the day and night. Then Friday, almost withdrawal-like missing the "high" from the previous day. Then came the weekend, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the cards, anxiety about the high total minimum spend, (really not that high using the various schemes, just my brain overthinking the "what ifs"), analyzing the grand plans of what to do with the new flush of points and miles. Tick, tock, tick, tock........

Then today comes, first card has arrived and I am rethinking the last few days saying WTF? I have managed this hobby very well so far, my score stays high, never carry a balance but I can't help but think I might have too much of an addictive personality to handle this stuff long term, I'll get myself in trouble somehow. I wish I could treat it without emotion and indifferently but I can't it is too much fun.

I am making much ado about nothing? What are your thoughts.

* (instant approval on all but the business card, which required a 10 minute phone call and was approved inside of 30 mins after the application. )

2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You captured how we all feel. But you do bring up a problem. Even free trips come with costs and we spend it whether it makes sense or not! I know I've planned a trip to Berlin in June and there is only one reason I'm doing it - I can't bear the thought of letting a BA Companion Award expire unused! So I'm spending $2,000+ that could easily be used for other things. Yeah - won't break the bank by any means but not my smartest move.

So it's really a DOUBLE addiction - getting the points and then using them. But couldn't be too too bad or there would already be a twelve step program for us!

3. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to let my BA companion pass go to waste, because I just cannot go. Feeling really bad.

Gargoyle, jbcarioca and boondr like this.
  4. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everything you described I can totally relate too.

For someone like myself who has an obsessive/addictive personality to begin with, the rewards game is quite intoxicating. I am finding the "planning phase" is where I get my rush. I just booked a trip to Hawaii all on reward points for July of 2013 and am already planning and plotting a potential trip to Spain in 2014.

For me, the planning and execution phase is where I find the true "rush" and once it is over, I need to do it again.

5. FredEX17

FredEX17 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, my name is Fred, and I am addicted to points and miles.
    Or is it miles and points?

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  6. gpapadop
    Original Member

gpapadop Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is stronger than crack!

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just look at these Milepointers, can't get enough of the Mileage runs!

[​IMG]

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people are so addicted to miles, they changed their name to "Miles" ;)

jbcarioca and mattsteg like this.
  9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we're being really anal, I'd call it an obsession for me more than an addiction. An addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance that prevents you from achieving lifestyle goals, such as keeping a stable partner/relationship. Having an aunt and a brother in AA (not American Airlines), I know this all too closely. However, I while I do feel the euphoria of getting the deals and enjoy working through the spends to get the points, it's because there's an end goal in mind, and knowing what I know about where you can end up if you don't manage money or a hobby properly, I won't let myself spend money that doesn't make logical sense.

I work in the financial world, and started my banking career as a report analyst in a collections department, which is one heck of a scared straight program if you ask me. I feel bad for good people that work in collections. It's a thankless job.

Gargoyle, arkleseizure and rodeojones like this.
  10. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can def. relate to servo's "obsession" description. Up until about a week ago, I truly obsessed with meeting spending requirements and it was such that I thought about it all the time. I actually stressed about it...not because I over extended myself, but because I couldn't meet the requirements fast enough. I tried playing the VR game and the AP game and got to the point recently where I had to tell myself to relax. I had a plan to pay off the spending requirements with our normal spending and didn't need to stress or get overly creative (AP for ex) to meet those requirements.

Obsessive people like myself can burn themselves out on any hobby they take on because we take it on 110% and never shut it off. We fall asleep thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. We quickly become very knowledgeable on the topic because of the obsession but that which makes us great also is what kills it for us.

I am learning that the awards game is a marathon and not a sprint. And it is ok to be a noob and not know all the tricks like the experts do. It is also ok to earn the spending requirements the easy way...normal spending. The other ways tend to stress me out....

Gargoyle, boondr, travelpye and 2 others like this.
  11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    good learning rodeojones
    I treat it all as a game, so I enjoy the process.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people are so addicted to miles, Turkish Airlines named their FF program after them.

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And the worst part of it is that they refuse to give me any status, any miles or anything in spite of the fact that they stole their name from me. :rolleyes:

boondr and jbcarioca like this.
  14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    P.S. forgot to add that I had never even heard of Turkish Airlines' Miles and Smiles program until many months after i chose my screen name here. Shows how much I know. :p

jbcarioca and mattsteg like this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't heard about it by name until I heard they were matching to gold/elite...

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do they match Milepoint Gold? :rolleyes:

8MiHi, boondr, mattsteg and 1 other person like this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps if you can make a sound business case that you will move your posting activity from milepoint to TK?

miles and smiles likes this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do I have to learn Turkish?
    I have a hard enough time with English. :D

19. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    DSM 5 has added hoarding as an illness

Perhaps DSM 6 will add points and miles accumulation.

20. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if I could stop traveling for a year...

21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Can't be milepointers, they are out with the hoi polloi, not in the exclusive lounge or booked into a hotel luxury suite that they scored for points.

22. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see lot of people going through applying for a bunch of cards every 90-95 days and then worrying about meeting the spend requirements. That must be stressful if one has to be constantly thinking about creative ways to get there. For me, it is one new card at a time. When I have the spend on it figured and planned out, only then do I take a dip again. In the absence of any business spends, it is a challenge to get there fast enough while keeping one's sanity. Churning should be regulated to one's ability to meet the spends without any stress. Some passive activities like the BankDirect AA account, Fidelity annual giveaway and some mileage earning debit cards are a good way to augment the miles balance, even though they might require some cost, up front or in terms of foregoing interest on a deposit. Alternating between a large spend based bonus and a first spend based bonus (with an annual fee for the first year) keeps the churning engine warm with no feeling of obsession/stress.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.