I succesfully double-dipped on two mileage programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by hulagrrl210, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Managed to get both United and Hawaiian miles for traveling OGG-HNL. The ticket was purchased through United- OGG to California and involved an interisland leg on Hawaiian. United only awards miles on Hawaiian when it connects to a flight to/from the mainland on United. When I checked in at OGG I provided my Hawaiian miles number to the check-in agent. When I got home I sent the boarding pass and retroactive credit request form to United and ended up with miles from BOTH programs.

Just a note, the last few times I have flown interisland with Hawaiian or Island Air I've had to mail in the form to get my United miles (before I never tried to double dip). The downside (and I found this out the hard way) is if you leave the islands on Hawaiian, they will charge you for bags regardless of your status with United. It costs $10 for the first, and 15 or 17 (I don't remember) for bag number 2. Not sure if I will be doing this again, as I try to fly direct to Maui as often as I can (or if I do throw in an extra 500 mile leg I prefer to do it between LAX and SFO), but IT CAN BE DONE.

If the hassle is worth 500 extra miles for anyone out there, that is how I did it. I assume this would work in the opposite direction (mainland to Hawaii) as well if you talked to a Hawaiian rep once you got to the islands and gave them your Hawaiian miles number.

2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice mileage grab!

3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you have to be careful with such details. Easy for some loopholes to get closed.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would be very careful trying to "double dip". Easy for the airline to find out what you are trying to do and freeze your account. To me, it is not worth the risk. It is one thing to have an airline inadvertently give you double miles, but something else to intentionally submit requests to multiple airlines.

roberton3 likes this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I totally agree, more than anything it actually isn't worth the hassle of going to HNL the baggage fees, or having to fill out the paperwork, and definitely not something I would go out of my way to do again, but I had to go to HNL on this trip anyway. I get more Hawaiian miles by linking my HA number to my all family members' Foodland accounts in HI but I was just curious to see if I could even do it, and so I tried. I wouldn't really consider this a loophole as much as something that just slipped through the cracks.