I should know the answer to this...but I don't - Status Matching

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by catgirl, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I have a kinda stupid question on status matching.

One of the posts below got me thinking.

If you status match say from Hyatt to Hilton, or maybe from UA to AA, do you lose the status of what you were matching from once you obtain the status you are matching to? Or do you retain both statuses?

Thanks. :)

ctporter likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No you don't lose anything, you retain your old status (the new program can't take it away from you!).

The new program won't even tell the old program you've done it in most cases, the only exception to the 'wont tell the old program' rule is that Starwood Preferred Guest will actually check with the program you're matching from in the case of some but not all programs to make sure you really are the status level you say you are, so the old program will know but even there you don't lose your old status :) .

Mikel, sobore and AmericanGirl like this.
  3. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm that which Gary says above.. the most I've ever heard of is that some folks were asked to send in their cards from the original program that your asked to have matched.. I believe that was Marriott & it was a few years ago as well.
    Good luck! :)

sobore and miles and smiles like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only do you retain your status on your current program, but you can status match more than once. I started with Priority Club Platinum and now three other hotel chains have given me a match. I'm sure I could get more if I asked. :)

sobore likes this.
  5. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do remember that the status match should be viewed as a once in a lifetime thing so plan carefully before acting.

Mikel and Horse like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, don't do it just to have a cool card as wallet candy. Do it when you will be able to make use of the benefits.

Also, plan the timing carefully. Some programs have a date after which the new status will be good for about a year and a half rather than just the remainder of the program year. If you status match late in the year, it can be hard to earn enough credits to maintain the status for the following year, so this could be a case of whether you want seven months of status now or sixteen months starting at a later date and presumably continuing.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    generally you have to show proof of current status, and then the match expires on the day that you're original status program is set to expire. Like others have said, have a good reason to do it, because its a one time shot. Sometimes there are "challenges" where the program you are wanting a status match on will give you "x" period of time to hit a certain criteria or pull away the status match. please do you due diligence prior to asking for status matches

8. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, very interesting thread for me! I have been thinking about seeing if my status with AS can be matched on others (United or even Delta) and worried about losing my status on AS. Reading through the thread I wondered about the timing issues raised, for example although I reached 75k last year so far, for this year I have not flown enough to make even MVP, but my 75k status does not expire until 2012. So, if United or Delta were to grant status matching for me, would it be based on the miles (butt in seat) that I have flown so far this year? or my current status expiring at Dec 31?

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would match your current status that you have at this moment and if your current status expires 12/31, so would the matched status in most cases. Usually they will want you to fax or email them a copy of your current ff card or even a statement screenshot. Remember, that YMMV (your mileage may vary) and you may have a different experience than what were describing here.

Mikel likes this.
  10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great info, I appreciate it! :)

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that SPG changed their status matching policy on April 1. Now they no longer do status matches but instead offer challenges: 15 nights in 90 days for Plat, but the rules regarding repeat challenges, etc. haven't been announced and aren't clear.