I see availability, but was waitlisted after applying GPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lrluis, Jul 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my first year as a 1K, so apologies on the n00bie post. I saw that there were two open first class seats on the UA seat selector a few days ago. I tried to apply my GPU and was wait listed.

Today, I noticed that there was one open seat remaining in F, so I got nervous and called the 1K line to see if I could confirm my upgrade. However, they said that first class was sold out and that was the reason I was wait listed. She explained that the open seat was showing because someone does not have a seat assignment.

I guess what I don't understand is that I'm still given an option to pay $1,200 to upgrade to that seat, which to me, doesn't mean it's "SOLD OUT."

Could someone give me a brief explanation of how I might be able to get my GPU confirmed and what tool I can use to figure out the TRUE number of seats available in F? Thanks!

If it helps, it's flight UA1587 (SFO-BOS) on 8/2/2012.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades come from an award bucket, not from revenue inventory. You cannot necessarily upgrade into the last seat for sale and haven't been able to for some time now.

The bucket you care about is the R bucket. Details on finding what you are looking for can be found (among other places) here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...ted-com-primer-how-to-find-upgrade-inventory/.

The $1200 "upgrade" is just the fare difference to a F fare.

The current inventory now is this: F1 A0 JN1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0. They have one seat for sale up front but that's it. Nothing for upgrade awards.

estnet, myskyconnections and lrluis like this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clear explanation, WA. I'm sure that the $1200 quote is calculating accordingly, but isn't that from OP's fare up to M as a 1K? If I understand it correctly, the next 1K to buy an M - or Platinum to buy a B - or Gold to buy a Y would auto-upgrade to that last seat. This in addition to someone just out and out buying the F, right?

You'll also probably know if "R" is the same bucket to look for on international flights. I'm getting ready to buy two TPAC tickets, but can't find any R availability on any of the routes listed. I have the miles to use for biz class outright, but I'd like to see what the value is vs. upgrading from a paid fare. Is R the right bucket on LH out of BOG into Europe?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Ken,
    WA can do a much better job then me explaining the systems for UG's, but UG'ing LH is a whole different story and I know you need a very high priced Y ticket to even use a SWU day of flight and think also many miles for just the standard *A award. On top of that, LH business seats are not good at all unless you like slipping down to the floor while trying to sleep:rolleyes:
    John

5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case, I highly suspect that what is being offered is the fare difference for the OP to buy in to F.
    The buckets for M/B fares to work (I think PN) are also zeroed out.

R-bucket is the bucket you would look for on UA-operated international flights where you apply a GPU/miles+copay
    If R=0, then you can only waitlist for the upgrade and hope it clears before doors close for take-off.

The value of paying miles only for business class versus upgrading from an economy fare can only be determined by you.

R-bucket will not work for LH in the search process. I think it is "I" (as in India) bucket for LH.

However, if you want to use UA miles to upgrade an LH flight...then you have to buy a Y/B economy fare or C/D business class fare to upgrade to Business or First class respectively. That is a "Star Alliance Upgrade".
    There are no waitlists for that upgrade. You either get it or you dont. You can keep trying for the Star Alliance upgrade every day (or every hour or every minute) if you want. However, it requires you to buy a very high fare in the first place. I have done this a few times successfully, when CO had great B-fares(~2K) to Mumbai, India. It was totally worth it for me. These days, B-fares to BOM range 5K or so....I cannot afford those anymore.

lrluis, Wandering Aramean and AZjohn like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is more or less correct. It might also be pricing into Y as that would book in to JN but the net effect is the same.

Yup.

Also correct. I generally find that the cash + miles at that level isn't worth it versus just redeeming outright for the award.

lrluis and snod08 like this.
  7. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also use a paper UA SWU to upgrade a LH flight (tho 6 weeks ago it took multiple calls to the "1K line" to get an agent that knew anything about this). The flight has to be in a certain booking class - think W or higher - and upgrades are per segment, e.g., one TATL flight. You present the paper SWU, and enter the upgrade waiting list, at your first LH staffed checkin. The gate agent will usually say there's no guarantees, they have to check, it may not clear, they'll get back to you - but the upgrade will usually clear, if there are still seats in C.

Seat comfort/amenities can be quite nice - a quote from a recently upgraded family member on a FRA-us TATL: "The trip back was amazingly nice. It was on one of the brand new 747-8i planes, which apparently has a whole new type of business class for Lufthansa. It had the awesome 180-degee lie flat seats, and the food was prepared by a German 3 michelin star restaurant. I honestly didn't want to get off the plane when it landed."

lrluis and snod08 like this.
  8. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA - that was the piece I was missing. I thought GPU's were treated differently from other award upgrades. So the answer I received about someone not having a seat assignment probably isn't true then, huh? No need to answer that one.

Awesome - I'll look into your blog post to get more info.

9. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    In order to upgrade LH-flights you must have booking class Q or higher.